Author Topic: The Power we need  (Read 9325 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: The Power we need
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
On the Homebase website they use the term power shower and in places they refer more correctly to Electric Power Shower. A system boosting the water pressure from a tank with a pump is something different.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51:45 AM »
When I  told the electrician who wired my shed initially that I  needed more sockets on the back wall (where there were previously none, he told me to get a four gang extension and just plug it in to one of the existing sockets (on the front wall).

I  found a six gang socket with each being individually switched and connected that with a flexible cable which I  secured to the walls with little cable clips. Since I  don't have more than one machine running at a time, there's no risk of overload.

Accepting that there may be factors of which we are NOT aware, I  think I  would  have considered the increase in cost of the shower installation and then invited at least three electricians to quote for the shed/workshop rather than just going back to the first man.

Of course, if he was your wife's second cousin, you would  NOT have had the choice!

My very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year.

MC

MC, Much the likeness .. the landlords father in law ... the shower with labour should have been free, I'd to pay for parts .. hence paying for the whole reel more than likely.

I've two other names for Electricians ,, should the wife ever stop spending the funds.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
On the Homebase website they use the term power shower and in places they refer more correctly to Electric Power Shower. A system boosting the water pressure from a tank with a pump is something different.

As I said there are misconceptions such as you state, but a power shower is as I described as can be seen from this Plumbase link 
http://www.plumbase.com/article/5/different-types-of-showers.html

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »
I have found an issue with some equipment, mainly a hitachi mitre saw, tripping a breaker on start up even thought the rating of the trip were correct. seeing this was a single spured socket (not a ring main) l increased the trip amp from 15 to 20 - now no problem.
Presuming your 15 amp breaker was a type B a better course of action would have been to change it for a 15 amp type C or even D.
I hope the spur was done with at least 2.5mm T&E cable or you have just over rated your breaker (20A) for the cable and are now using the cable as a big fuse :o

1.5mm T&E is rated at 18A, so ok with a 15A breaker but not with a 20A one, and having only the one run of cable i.e. a spur rather than a ring means it is only one length of cable feeding the socket whereas a ring 'shares' the load round each side of the ring.
Keep it safe from all aspects.

Not sure where or how you decided l had 1.5 T&E  cable as l make no mention of cable size. however it is 2.5 so having a 20amp trip is well within code.