Author Topic: Segmented petal bowl  (Read 4271 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Segmented petal bowl
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
This bowl is made using segments of holly and walnut, with the lid being pewter spun on my lathe to size and shape, and the finial made from holly. The whole bowl stands 160mm high, with the finial 100mm of that. The petal form diameter is 150mm. Finished in acrylic lacquer. Comments welcome. Malcolm

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Segmented petal bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
Malcolm,

an interesting concept but maybe a little 'to busy', segmenting, petals, pewter and the finial. However the bowl and (very shiny) pewter are well done.

I personally think the finial lacks a little in definition (sharpness) of form, but as I've not seen you post a finial of this type before. So if it's your first one, it's a good effort.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
Malcolm

A very fine effort, keep at them, looking forward to seeing more.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
Hi Malcolm ,
         after the hard work you have obviously put into this piece you deserve credit for it.
A mixture of material and a mixture of technique was required to make this. With a different type of skill set for each application. WELL DONE! :)
     On a negative note, I am afraid the style does nothing for me, I'm not enamored of the very highly polished top and as Bryan said the finial is not quite right.
  I feel like a real b*****d saying all this after you have put this much effort in and I hope you understand why I have said it.
      I would like to see a more delicate finial, maybe a slightly different shape and the lid could maybe benefit from a bit of texturing.
Just my opinion mind you, others may love it.
Regards
John BHT

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
I would be interested to know how you finished the pewter though.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
I don't know how Malcy does it John but I use fine wire wool then a bit of T cut to finish off. Come up like a mirror.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »

Hi Malcolm, I like what you've done, you've taken an placed so many elements in the one piece, petal bowl is the idea of a flower, which one, no .. maybe the finial could be more as a center of a flower as such, then that's just my thoughts.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »
Thanks for your comments, guys. All are appreciated. This is the first finial I have made so I take on the comments made. The pewter has been polished whilst spinning on the lathe after spin forming using two buffing compounds and pads on a drill, the compounds being for soft metals like copper and brass. I personally prefer highly polished metal like this, but I do accept that it is not everyone's cup of tea. I have finished on other pieces using wire wool to give a more satin type of fjnish. Malcolm.

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »
Spin Forming? so do I understand correctly, you started with a piece of sheet and spun it and formed it over a template?
Regards
John
BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
Sorry John. I missed this reply originally. Yes, it started off as a flat disc of pewter. I made a former using hard maple, and spun the pewter onto it using some tools I made. I've also made some candle holder tops and bases in the same way. Malcolm.

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
So your mixture of technique extends to spin forming a lid?
Well done, for that is something I have not tried yet and it has impressed me. :)
Regards
John BHt