Author Topic: Lathe accident  (Read 5741 times)

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Lathe accident
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
This is an industrial metal lathe but the same applies to woodturning, never wear loose clothing.

Not gruesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9grSq-TWMQ

john

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Lathe accident
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

A camera on the job ... That happened in 2 seconds and the material was about an 1" - 24.5 mm ... had it been larger ..  :o ..  As it pulled the clothes off him, was there being loose beneficial, albeit he was still dragged in to the work/lathe.

What was the outcome of any injuries.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
As an apprentice I remember being taught to remove rings and watches and roll your sleeves up before using a machine, we also had to remove our ties but I guess that is not so relevant today.Funnily enough though no mention was made of wearing steel toe cap boots.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
As if to emphasize just how much people panic in such situations, did you notice that it took the first two people on the scene 15 seconds to even think of switching off?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
As if to emphasize just how much people panic in such situations, did you notice that it took the first two people on the scene 15 seconds to even think of switching off?
Les

I'd noticed that, the 2nd guy did stop it, but why he was then all over the place and not took then to release the chuck.  The 4th guy who came at 2:00 an taking to jump all over the lad and party trying to remove him, big help.

If it hadn't been aluminium and bent, it looked as if it may have spun in the chuck.

The lad has had a lucky escape, learnt a hard lesson and no doubt shown time and again his mistake ... it's like watching a safety training film.

David

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
A thought provoking video, with a lucky escape, but where was the Emergency stop switch? It looks like the lathe had to be stopped using the ordinary Start/Stop controls.

And this raises that age old topic of why many swivel head woodturning lathes have their Start/Stop switches mounted on the motor, and thereby made inaccessible when you have a large piece mounted on the lathe. How do you get to the switch if things begin to go wrong, when the switch is hidden behind the workpiece?

All my lathes have EM stop switches mounted in an area below the tailstock, where I can hit them with my knee, if necessary, and most of them have been fitted with secondary remote controls, putting them in easy reach of any turning I am doing. Something I would recommend to all turners.

Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club