Author Topic: Fuming Experiment  (Read 2652 times)

Paul Disdle

Fuming Experiment
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
Here is a little oak box that has been Ammonia fumed. Pictures of before and after

It was placed in a box sealed box with a small amount of 35% Ammonia Solution and left for 24 hours. It has then had a couple of coats of acrylic sanding sealer. There is still a bit of an odour from about 6" away but that should dissipate with time.

C&C welcome

Paul

Mark Sanger

Re: Fuming Experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
Great Paul

I think that is a great result. Not something I have ever tried, the results are very good indeed. Very pleasing box and a great result. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Hi Paul - That is quite a dramatic colour change, what did you use as your Ammonia Source ? Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
you can use chicken poo as an ammonia source

failing that you ideally want 808 ammonia

nice box and a good effect...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
Hello Paul,
             I can remember years ago we used to fume whole piece of furniture. good effect, good effort, well done.
Regards
John BHT

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
I work in a lab so used analytical grade pure 35% ammonia solution. I am also lucky enough to have access to a fume cupboard to do it in as pure ammonia is very strong on the nose.

You should be able to get less strong solutions from a proper hardware store (quite strong) from a brewing supplier (mild strength) and household cleaner (quite weak). I haven't tried but I would get the weaker solutions would just take longer to cause the same depth of colour change.

Always treat Ammonia with caution its not a nice chemical to work with.

Paul