Author Topic: Unusual commissions  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Unusual commissions
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
As you mention guitars,

It was not a turning job, but a friend asked me to add another Fret to his fender guitar so he could play the extra notes available in a Gibson.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
I did make a series of bungs, all different sizes, for a canal barge. The owner had welded a new bottom onto it and it sat too heavy in the water and all the drain holes were below the surface.
   There is also something else that I make loads of but I am not saying what as if you knew, those of you that had that type of holiday would look after them and then I wouldn't have to replace them would I? ;) :D
Regards
John BHT

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
To date, the one that really took me by surprise was a wooden piston, with gudgeon pin, for use in a vintage motorbike. Apparently this idea was used as emergency repairs, usually for generators sets, which used low compression engines. I have since heard the 'new' piston worked, although the engine is only run for a short time, at vintage bike shows. I don't think I will be getting a contract from Honda ;D

Continuing the vintage vehicle theme, I was asked to make a set of wooden patterns for rubber grommets, which were being made for a vintage motor car. Several were very thin and quite small, a nice challenge.

Another commission was for a pair of replacement horns for a carved, wooden Impala. The horns were turned from ash, with a hint of a barley twist.

Finally, parts for spinning wheels and looms are quite common requests but always very much appreciated by the end user. I think that's because the items let the customer continue THEIR crafts.

If I get any more strange requests, I will post again.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts