Author Topic: Scaling things up a bit!  (Read 6994 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Scaling things up a bit!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »
Ah yes, Dewi, the spalted holly....it has all split and cracked uncontrollably and clearly should have been turned green, so I'm left with the onerous task of making something of value out of it, which is where the link that you recently posted to a model-makers supplier could well come in very useful. I'm thinking of buying some copper strip and wire, stitching across the cracks with the wire and turning a little groove beneath the rims of bowls to inset a copper strip. Must be worth having a go.

Anyway....thanks for the compliment. I think that I was very lucky to find a gallery owner who loves wood, but who just needed somebody to bring a suitcase full of samples to sell. Right place, right time, right product!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19:26 AM »

Oh Les, can be the thing with Holly, not sure as to how it should be stored, must be able too, the first I was given by a colleague, I turned most of it green as mushrooms, but a pair of candle holders as a thank you gift, they left them in the carrier at work for months, forgetting to take them home, I checked one day on them ... gone black and furry ..  :o ..

Had my eye on some Holly that had been felled to clear for the harvest of other timber, not been up to check what it's like, most do if we have fine weather again, bit of a walk to the woods... and should you try an leave the car near there .. walk back.

You'd found the post handy, I thought the thin wood sheets, inlay or fillets, the glues and a few other things, need to check prices.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
Congratulations Les, on getting in to the gallery. Certainly the Yew platter and that Olive Ash bowl are lovely, and well made. If I may make a suggestion, just something to think about... Watch out on the rims of platters, if they slope downwards/outwards (does that make sense?) they can look like they droop when sat on a table. Not a critism, just something to think about.

Well done

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Cheers Richard, and thanks for the pointer, which wasn't taken as a criticism at all. It will be a useful piece of info as the gallery want more large stuff, so I'll keep that in mind.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.