Author Topic: Point tool  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Point tool
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Hi all...from time to time I notice mention in this forum of a turning tool referred to as a 'point tool'. This is something that I'm not familiar with and certainly not something that I remember from when I used to do a bit of turning, many years ago. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding them in catalogues, but believe that I've found one on Hamlet's web-site... http://www.hamletcrafttools.co.uk/point-tool.html ...
So...2 questions...Firstly, is the tool featured in the above link, the same tool as what members of this forum are referring to as a 'point tool'? Secondly, what's the range of tasks that the tool is used for?

Cheers guys...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

woody

Re: Point tool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
I made this one the other day it can be used to roll beads, do planning cuts and it is good for cleaning up end grain  the one on your link is made of a round bar ground on three sides to a point so you have three flat surfaces it is one of old Bill Jones designs and it does the same as the one I have made it is a very handy tool
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:34:31 PM by woody »

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
I first came across a point tool whilst watching a John Berkerley demo a few years back, he used it for many tasks & lists it on his site.

http://www.johnberkeley.biz/PIC00429.JPG

http://www.johnberkeley.biz/page13.html

It is quite a useful tool especially for getting in nooks & crannies, I made mine from a tool blank bought from Ashley Iles for about £6.

Cheers.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:09:20 PM by Doug Barratt »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
Thanks woody/Doug.....I get it!

Cheers guys...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
Woody...that's a kind of bedan you've made...not a point tool.

Doug's link leads to a point tool.

Personally I think they're a bit of a gimmick. You can make your own or use a skew to do the same jobs.

woody

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
Sorry Andy your wrong it is square steel and the tip is ground  to a diamond shape with a point
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:00:48 PM by woody »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Woody, your point tool, I think, was originally marketed as the Beecham's Skewchgouge or something like that in the 90's.

I have one I made at the time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Craft supplies Darbyshire used to sell it as the 9 in 1 tool 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
Ah - I also remember that name. Perhaps I'm incorrect in my first thought.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
Hi I am with Les and Andy on this one Les's link is the point tool. Woody Craft Supplies did sell the 9 in 1 tool but it was never called a point tool although it did come to a point and was supposed to do 9 functions including a skew but I will agree the only thing it was any good for IMHO was for
making grooves.Bryan the Skewchegouge was also made from round bar.

Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
I know craft supplies sold the 9 in 1 tool and it was never refereed to as a pointed tool I had one for years I  was just showing a tool with a point that did the same as the one in the link trying to be helpful I use mine for several jobs on spindle work like rolling beads, balls, planing cuts, cutting coves and on end grain

Andy Coates

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »
apologies, woody...

much clearer in the new pic, but as said it's a 9 in 1 rather than a point tool, but will do what a point tool does. a fine example of how tool manufacturers will do to convince us we need a new tool when we already have a  spindle gouge and a skew that will do the jobs better..

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
I use a three point tool (the round bar with three bevels type) because I believe in using the best tool for the job and I think there are things the three point tool does better than any other.

I agree with Andy about there being some tools that seem to be there just to generate sales but I don't think the three point tool is one of them.

I remember reading something about the purpose of  colourful fishing lures was more to catch anglers than fish! I think we can draw a similar parallel with wood turning.

Screwples

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
Hi Les,
The point tool can be the most valuable tool in your “armoury”.  It was first popularised by Bill Jones, though I guess used not only by him but also his dad and his contemporaries.  In the days before the ready availability of tools for turning many were home made from, amongst other metal objects, old files. The point tool was originally made from a triangular file, not to be recommended these days. The cost of producing HS Steel triangular blanks was prohibitive and so the point tool for many years now has been made from round bar. This actually makes them even more easy to manipulate. I favour the 1/4” diameter size and very rarely use one any larger. I probably make more use of this tool than did Bill Jones, though without his skill. The three face angles can be varied according to the use to which you intend to put it.
It can be used in many ways for different uses and, contrary to some belief, can be very similar in action to a three sided user friendly skew chisel. It is ideal for executing crisp detail and very good for rolling small beads. Only when used consistently and with practice does its full potential become apparent.
To see how best to use it there is a section on my Screwples No1 DVD.  

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »
John Berkeley demonstrated the point tool this evening at Shropshire Woodturning. We saw first hand just what the tool can do in skilled hands, it is so versatile and unrivaled for fine detail, in addition John also planes long grain, faces end grain and just about everything else with it.