Author Topic: Silver Birch  (Read 4131 times)

homeofwood

Silver Birch
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
Hi fellow turners... I have a chance of getting a huge amount of silver Birch.. Im a bit in 2 minds if to take the chance on it,, I know it can be turned into good looking bowls etc... But also know it goes soft and roots quickly,, point im asking do you turners like to turn silver birch.. or should i give it a miss. Have some huge sizes up to 24inches wide..

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Silver Birch
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
I've been turning Paper Birch (spalted) lately, an American version of the Sliver Birch. And then of course there is the Masser Birch so beloved of turners (that can afford it).

It is fairly bland timber but seems to turn okay.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
This bowl is Silver Birch. The shape may not be to everyone's taste, but I doubt anyone could call it 'bland'.

Sorry - Edit did'nt seem to allow me to change the image which was too large.

Second attempt

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:39:50 PM by Buzzbee »

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
I would go for it.  Yes it does rot very quickly so perhaps convert and rough turn as much as you can - leave the turnings for a few months to dry and then re-mount and complete.  I find that using Finishing Oil brings out the best of any figuring whilst using sanding sealer tends to emphasise the blandness of the wood.

I was given a substantial amount of Birch that a neighbour had felled as the roots were destroying her drive! See photos below of an example bowl from this Birch with buffed finishing oil as the final coating.

After a few months another trunk section was cut open to reveal spectacular spalting (See photo) which ended up as eight rough turned bowls plus bits and pieces for light pulls and boxes (See photo).

Subsequently within a year a lot of the rest of the wood was far too gone to be usable!

Hope this helps?

Tim
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:59:36 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
I like turning thin walled  birch bowls and vases when the wood is still green