Author Topic: BHT Demo at the ABWT  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
BHT Demo at the ABWT
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
Last Thursday evening we had the honour of a demonstration by The Bowler Hatted Turner at the Avon & Bristol Woodturning Club.

John lived up to his reputation (not name - no Bowler!) as a turner and demonstrated the making of an excellent little Ladies Wardrobe Pomander.

He also managed to clear up a little secret I'd not managed to work out (how to keep the ribbon on.)

Well I had to have a go and SWMBO has already snaffled it straight into her wardrobe having filled it full of Lavender seeds. Yes it smells great but I certainly don't want it near my work suits(!).

I'd also like to mention Turners Cabin who supplied me previously with the 1mm tungsten piercing bit, this was it's first outing and it performed fantastically.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: BHT Demo at the ABWT
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words Bryan, it was a very enjoyable evening for me too.
  I like what you have made here, although the same principal you have made this design your own.
The piercing looks very good.Don't you just love those little cutters?
regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
I like that Bryan & John it will be one of the first things I make when I'm up and running again well done and thanks for showing it

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
John,

In part of your talk mentioned the pomander you'd made with a Chinese hat, I really liked that idea, hence...

Another (important) thought you imparted was not to make the finial to fragile, especially important for the likes of me who would otherwise have turned a ridiculously fine ended one. I'm sure it would have looked fantastic, and been broken in a few days - so again my thanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!