Author Topic: Amboyna/walnut lidded pot.  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Amboyna/walnut lidded pot.
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Not much time for turning on a week-night, but fancied having a go at this piece of spalted, well-rotted amboyna burr. It was terribly soft and the surface needed a lot of careful sanding!
It's about 5 inch diameter and 4inches high (125mm x 100mm)

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Amboyna/walnut lidded pot.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

Hi Les,  It's never easy to make a call on a picture of a piece, you've done remarkably well with the form of the pot, for me the lid maybe a little predominant in size and for the Walnut, the flow to the pot, could lead into a lower lid and more of a detailed knob, than going for a finial, then without a feel for the piece, it's difficult to judge, I like the idea with the piece.

Cheers   Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
Hi Dewi...I must admit that I was unclear about this one. Something about the lid just didn't quite look right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I guess you're right and that it is a bit predominant.
What do you think of taking a shape similar to this one, but which rises briefly, then the top becomes not flat, but dished downwards so that it is concave, with a tiny knob sitting in the dished section of the lid....it would drop the height down and make the base more predominant. I think with the upper edge of the base having an inward curve like this, dropping the upper face of the lid quite sharply inward, so that it becomes concave, could well work.....but it would have to be a clear-cut transition from the outer edge of the lid to the concave top.....Maybe I'll rough something up in a bit of scrap-wood tonight.
Meanwhile....school is calling...lessons to teach. I'm building an octagonal gazebo with my Post16 students, so spending much of the time in the garden....bliss.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
Another well made piece as far as shape and quality is concerned. My only (personal) doubt is the wood for the walnut. It doesn't work for me and I think I would prefer it either a stark contrast or at least with a contrasting rim on it's edge to define where it meets the base. The amboyna has such a dramatic graining that anything less than dead plain detracts from it . As said, my personal preference and not criticism of shape etc.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Les,

it's definatly the lid that is unsettling the look of the piece.

To me it is the strong grain pattern rising in the first photo from the joint. I think the shape is good but a different wood, less coloured or figured, would sit better.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
Hi Dewi...I must admit that I was unclear about this one. Something about the lid just didn't quite look right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I guess you're right and that it is a bit predominant.
What do you think of taking a shape similar to this one, but which rises briefly, then the top becomes not flat, but dished downwards so that it is concave, with a tiny knob sitting in the dished section of the lid....it would drop the height down and make the base more predominant. I think with the upper edge of the base having an inward curve like this, dropping the upper face of the lid quite sharply inward, so that it becomes concave, could well work.....but it would have to be a clear-cut transition from the outer edge of the lid to the concave top.....Maybe I'll rough something up in a bit of scrap-wood tonight.
Meanwhile....school is calling...lessons to teach. I'm building an octagonal gazebo with my Post16 students, so spending much of the time in the garden....bliss.

Les

Hi windy .. it's never easy to visualise a form or idea, from the current picture and the flow of the pot to the right, leads to a slighter  curve to the lid, reduced in height by say a 3rd..  To how it would work with what you're considering is only as you've said, give it a try, could develop into an ogee .. not to get carried away with a biscuit barrel lid ... As expressed by Pete an Bryan it maybe the Walnut ..

Trust all went well with the gazebo ... got the be more hair trying to keep the attention of Post16 Students fully involved.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''