Author Topic: Rippled sycamore bowl  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Rippled sycamore bowl
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
Having got a bit of practice in, turning those 5 small bowls inspired by the glass pudding bowl, I had a go at a piece of rippled sycamore. I could see that there was going to be some really iridescent ripples in it, and I wasn't disappointed!

I kept the wall quite thick because I wanted this to be a functional, sturdy bowl, but the grain is so fine that I think that I could have turned it quite thin and made it more of a 'decorative' piece....but I'm quite happy with it, really.

It's got a good, solid foot!

Overall size is 9" x 5" and the whole thing took me 2 hours from starting out, to taking the photos......I was wondering how that compares withthe speed at which some of the more experienced turners work.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Rippled sycamore bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
Hi Les, I like this Bowl very much and the wood with it's Grain and figuring makes it special, I like your design as well doing this in 2 Hours from start to finish the I would say that is first class. Well done. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
Cheers John, and 'Wow'....I thought that would be slow! My lathe is very, very basic and I can't take deep cuts with the bowl gouge; I have to nibble away slowly, taking just a couple of mm at a time, so I assumed that I was going to be really slow.
Thanks....Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »

Hi Les, 

I've had to look more than once as this one ... and really .. I can't fault what you've done, beautiful flowing form into the foot, which is neatly done .. the step to the rim and then the sloped edge which draws the eye to the  inside ... not a mark anywhere and stunning finish .. good time too.

Cheers   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

ru55ell1

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
Very nice Bowl indeed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
It got nabbed....

....but I'm having it back in the morning, I can get £30 for that!

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
Les,

You've done a smashing piece of wood a favour by turning this bowl. And the finish you've achieved to bring out the grain ( Chatoyance is a another word for the effect) is truly worthy of it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
Siwd mae Les,

Lovely fruit bowl,nice to see a piece of sycamore with a decent grain.I usually get the bland ones which I end up texturing or colouring.

Da iawn eto,

Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Diolch Rod...a siw mae ti, hefyd.

Thanks for the comments....I managed to get the bowl back, so it's going into my bag of samples to trawl around a couple of local hotels and restaurants to see if I can get some work displayed there.

Fingers crossed...Hwyl fawr, Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the comments, it's all very encouraging. I'm not sure how much bigger I'm going to be able to go on my lathe...the physical capacity is there, if only by repositioning the bed bars temporarily. However, the lathe is so basic that I still get vibration with big pieces of work, or when I'm making hollowing cuts. Things are substantially better since I replaced the bearings, but I guess that I just have to accept that a lathe as basic and as old as mine is going to have these limitations. So....I do tend to have to rely on frequently sharpened scrapers to take that diaphanously thin cut that produces fluff more-so than shavings, and then lots of sanding.
On the subject of sanding....my current stock of Abranet only goes as fine as 320grit, so this piece (and anything else I've ever turned) has not been sanded finer than that - although I do use fresh 320, followed by well-used 320, followed by worn-out 320, which seems to work.

Bryan...I was intrigued by your word 'chatoyance' and did a bit of searching to find out more about it.

• It would seem that our friends across the pond, who never were ones for adopting words from other cultures, refer to it as 'popping the grain'
    It's caused by a confused arrangement of wood fibres close to the surface
    It can be highlighted by the use of oils to finish the piece with, as this type of finish penetrates the surface more and reaches the 'confused arrangement of fibres
    superfine sanding (1000grit) can increase the effect, as can...
    high gloss finishes compatible with oils - such as gloss varnishes
there's an interesting video on youtube that deals with it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipD8SybPgRM  - interesting stuff...can't wait to try it out on another bit of ripple!

Cheers guys...Les

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
lovely bowl and nice big sturdy foot,you won`t knock that one over in a hurry,very practical,on another site they always say about the thirds rule but it doesn`t work if its for practical use like this bowl,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world