Author Topic: Spalted natrual Edged Oak Bowl  (Read 4138 times)

EnErY

Spalted natrual Edged Oak Bowl
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
Spalted natrual Edged Oak Bowl Turned From green wood finished In sanding sealer and then 2 coats of crystalline wax Then  a coat of burnishing cream
Regards
Bill

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Spalted natrual Edged Oak Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
When you say "a coat of burnishing cream " as I understand it the burnishing cream is a very mild abrasive a bit like T/Cut used on car body work to bring up a shine I wouldn't have thought it worked over Wax I would be interested in other members views. Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
Hello John,
             it looks to be well turned and finished but I'm afraid I don't like it. Not sure why but it just doesn't "rock my boat". Otherwise a good job.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »
Are you sure it's Brown Oak (infected by the Beefsteak fungus) because it looks exceedingly pale in the photo.

The spalting in the cambium layer is really interesting. almost a lacework tracery. Strange it does not extend into the heartwood.

Did you allow any drying time in your process or is it destined to move as it completes it's drying.

And like John, I'm a little confused why you burnished over microcrystalline wax, that is normally a finishing wax to prevent fingerprints or other less desirable effects on the end product.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »

Hi Bill,

An interesting piece, break the 'norm' in form, could we have a side view to see how the fungus has infested the timber in such a  stunning form down the side .. I like it .. nice finish even if it's considered wrong in application, we're all always leaning so don't worry.

What size is the piece.

Thank you for sharing.   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

EnErY

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
Spalted natrual Edged Oak Bowl Turned From green wood finished In sanding sealer and then 2 coats of crystalline wax Then  a coat of burnishing cream
Regards
Bill
Here It is David just as you requested ok I know Now Where I went wrong on finish with the wax but that was What I posted For But im looking On improvement in tool marks Etc which I hope I have achieved from the last bowl posted here . Thank You For Your Comment
Regards
Bill

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:57:22 AM »

Bill, thank you for the picture, it gives a better idea as to the form, it's a little high as a view to get an idea of the foot/tenon, the one small thing to benefit the flow would have been to roll the bottom of the side into the foot, you look to have finished it straight, giving a shoulder, was it due to your jaw size and compression mount.  I did say one .. secondly .. and this will get better with time, the wall could have been taken a little thinner, then we can only judge by the picture and this looks good chunky. I really like the plainness of the form, it's spalt and grain that is the real heart of the piece.

It sounded as if you had more, as it had been your tree, it will be nice to see further pieces to if it comes out the same.

Cheers  David

EnErY

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
Thank you David Yes I do Have A Load Of This Timber it was felled And Delivered green Its Turned thick because Its So Green I Finished This One Just To Post it With A Shine And See If It will take a finish The rest Are in carrier bags with The Shavings hung up In My garage I got Some to get Planked  so Its Then Going To Be Kept Until Its Got A decent Reading on My Moisture meter But My Spalted Silver Birch Will Be turned quickly As That Goes Off quickly so im informed
Regards
Bill

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
Hi Bill
 ...as regards your comment about spalted silver birch rotting fairly quickly, we cut some limbs of a silver birch in the garden and then bucked it all into firewood. Two and a half years later I took a couple of pieces out of the woodshed and turned them, and the spalting was amazing. Yes, they had started to degrade, but only very slightly and even with my considerable inexperience as a woodturner, I was able to make a couple of very nice pieces out of it. Check out the gallery entries for 31st March ( A piece of firewood) and 18th April (I blame Bryan) and you'll see how nice the spalting can be!....it's got to be worth keeping a few pieces tucked away!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
Thank you David Yes I do Have A Load Of This Timber it was felled And Delivered green Its Turned thick because Its So Green I Finished This One Just To Post it With A Shine And See If It will take a finish The rest Are in carrier bags with The Shavings hung up In My garage I got Some to get Planked  so Its Then Going To Be Kept Until Its Got A decent Reading on My Moisture meter But My Spalted Silver Birch Will Be turned quickly As That Goes Off quickly so im informed
Regards
Bill

Cheers Bill, It's good to have an explanation to a piece and the thinking that went into it, we all experiment, sometimes by chance, in time you'll be turning the green pieces really thin it the walls and they'll move/misshape when drying with no fear of splitting.

Birch can be funny stuff, I've had an have pieces which have done different things, could be the time when it's cut or how it's stored, I'd find good timber it the middle of the heap, (as with Les) got to have been even air circulation, temperature and lack of light ... add moisture for Mushrooms ...

David