Author Topic: Burr Elm from Stanwick  (Read 2965 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Burr Elm from Stanwick
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
Burr Elm from Stanwick as a bowl with in-curved rim. Timber supplied by Nigel at English Hardwoods.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Clavico

Re: Burr Elm from Stanwick
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
very nice, David and a very nice piece of elm!

Robert

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »

Stunning piece of Elm and platter too, nicely finished, what did you use, is it wax in the voids or not and the size of this beauty.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
I know Elm is still available from the North, but just look at what we lost because of that awful disease.

And what a wonderful job you've made of that fantastic piece of timber.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
Many thanks for all the kind comments. The platter/bowl is 9 inches diameter by about 2 inches deep. The finish was copious coats of Danish Oil.

This was the only piece of Burr Elm that Nigel had left on the Sunday at Woodworks so it was too good an opportunity to miss. I have some other drier Burr Elm from around this way (Dorking I believe) so it will be interesting to see how that comes out. Just need to decide how to cut the planks first.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Burr elm
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
The finish was copious coats of Danish Oil.
Hi David....I'm about to turn a piece of elm burr, similar to yours, to make a big platter and have been wondering about its finish. What process did you use for applying the oil, please? Did you flood the surface or apply it sparingly? Did you wipe off the excess, and if so, after how long? Did you buff it in any way, between coats? How long did you leave it between coats....and about how many coats did it take to achieve that finish?

So many questions!

Cheers...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Les,

Always happy to try and help. This was a really knotty piece with lots of inclusions running right through the piece.

The first coats of Danish Oil were brushed on and brushed well into the inclusions. Fine, except that this caused runs on the read of the bowl. Had to power sand these off.
The next coats were put on fairly sparingly with paper and some extra just lightly brushed into the inclusions.

I gave the bowl a light de-nib with Webrax between coats and buffed up with a clean soft cloth. Each coat had any excess wiped off after about 20 mins and then left to dry overnight.  Final buffing was with a Chestnut Buffing System wheel C or use any soft wheel you have in the shop.

I think the piece had about 6 coats in all.

You can also try using EEE-Ultrashine which gives a high gloss wax finish - works well on Birch.

This way worked for me but do experiment and see what gives the best results for you.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing a photo!

David
David
At The Cutting Edge