Author Topic: Apple and raspberry crumble!  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Apple and raspberry crumble!
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
There I was, sat in 'Ranch' Italian restaurant in Beverley, whiling away a few hours with friends, waiting for the horse-racing to start at 18:30, when my pudding, an apple and raspberry crumble, was served in a pretty little glass bowl, shaped like a cocktail glass, but with a heavy foot instead of a stem. I liked the shape, so, when I got home yesterday, I grabbed a few offcuts from the shelf and started making little bowls inspired by my pudding.
The first is very similar in size and proportion. Made from a piece of apple from Mid Wales, and worked on the end-grain.

Next came a more rounded, cup shaped bowl out of a piece of English Elm, bought from the odd-and-ends bucket at the ISCA show. it was terrible to work and just wanted to tear out, so a lot of sanding had to be done, but I got there in the end.

Finally, I grabbed a piece of padauk that almost made it into the log-basket because it had lots of hairline cracks on one end, but I kept it for experimenting with shapes, and it worked nicely for this purpose. I didn't bother finish sanding this piece as it was just barely holding together and is destined for the bin, but it served its purpose in making a shape that I wanted to try out.

They are all quite small....the elm is just 100mm/4" diameter, but handy to make as I always find it helpful to see three-dimensional shapes when I'm toying with ideas.

Comments and criticisms, especially about the shapes, will be appreciated.
thanks...Les
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:34:55 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Apple and raspberry crumble!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Les,

it's always interesting to see ideas from other mediums being developed into a wooden version. So to start with, thanks for sharing the root source of your work.

The first one looks a little out of balance, whether a shorter base or a lower top lip (shallower side angle) would have made the difference I can only surmise. However, as it was the first one made and based on your observation, I'm of the opinion that it fit's your memory of the Glass version very well. So it may also be the fact that a little poetic (craftsman) licence it always allowable between mediums.

As for the other two, They sit very easily in my eye and have a poise and balance to them that is pleasing.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »

However, as it was the first one made and based on your observation, I'm of the opinion that it fit's your memory of the Glass version very well.

Hi Bryan...you're so right! The first one is as near a copy to the glass version as I could remember, and it looks heavy. I had exactly this problem with the ship's decanter....perhaps the transparency of glass helps to 'lighten' its appearance. I tried to refine the proportions in the second two, even though the shapes were very different, so I'm really pleased that you like the overall shapes.
Thanks....Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
I do a lot of chalices and goblets based on the design of glass and silver ones and find that I need to make them more delicate as if I use the same proportions they look chunky. When turning the inside shave it down very thin at the edge. Make the stems tapered so that they are wider at the bottom and it gives the piece a much more delicate look whilst retaining the strength.
Hope this helps

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
Pete...it certainly does help...thanks for the tips.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »

Very nice Les, No Raspberry there, the Apple has a very nice grain and you've endeavored to retain the form seen, the Elm and Padauk are equally pleasing in form and each has been finished well.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
Hi Les
Of the three, I prefer the round elm bowl, not sure what to say about the other two :-\.
I always like the grain of elm and you've acheived a lovely finish.
Regards,
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.