Author Topic: Demolition Rimu  (Read 5000 times)

Peteg

Demolition Rimu
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Having just joined the site I thought I would try & post something, (it can be a challenge I have found with some sites)

This is a piece of 100 + year old demolition Rimu from an old villa here in Auckland, it was turned "thin" and left in the chuck overnight to be finished next morning, it decided to object to its treatment & check quite badly around the widest scetion, $%^&*()_.  Sad thing was it is a beautiful piece of heart timber with very nice couloring, so I decided to get some Pyro practice & burn it up.
It stands about 120mm x 150mm wide.
Any comment welcome & thanks for the look
Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Demolition Rimu
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:27:42 AM »

Hi Pete,

Firstly may I Welcome you to the Forum and then for a 1st in what is a stunning piece, the picture lets it's down and not given it full justice... I'd say ... a bit of a Phoenix from, an to the ashes almost ... a beauty, to go the chuck away.

Watch for more from you. Thank you.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:33:15 AM »
Hi Peter....looks like the pyro practice was a good decision! It's a beauty!
What's it's size, the dimensions came through as gobbledygook-gook?

Cheers, and welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
Pete,

good to have you in the forum, we hope this is the first of many posts. I personally always enjoy seeing the timbers we don't have ready access to and what can be done with them.

I can't see the checking you refer to in the piece, guess you hid it around the back for the photos.

Pyro work is something I keep meaning to explore, if I can get away from colouring things. I do like what you've done with this, the dark of the timber is highligthed by the black of the fire work.

Do you use a normal Pyro machine, or have you followed your countryman and built the Priddy wood vapouriser?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Peteg

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
Thanks Guys, Les I never know what to give dimensions in, I'm old school learnt in Imperial & converted to dec' by Gov't decree,  ;D   It is about 5" x 6"
Pete

Peteg

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
Pete,

good to have you in the forum, we hope this is the first of many posts. I personally always enjoy seeing the timbers we don't have ready access to and what can be done with them.

I can't see the checking you refer to in the piece, guess you hid it around the back for the photos.

Pyro work is something I keep meaning to explore, if I can get away from colouring things. I do like what you've done with this, the dark of the timber is highligthed by the black of the fire work.

Do you use a normal Pyro machine, or have you followed your countryman and built the Priddy wood vapouriser?

The checking was around the area I buried in pyro, it wasn't real "major" but enough to p..s me right of. No In havent ventured to one of Greame Priddle's machines they are a serious piece of gear, I use a simple little Burnmaster I bought from my mate Terry Scott here in NZ. Thanks for your interest.
Pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Pete, welcome to the forum, a lovely piece for your first posting. Beautifully turned and finished and all from a rescued piece of wood, good job you were there.
 Don't worry about how you give the measurements as most of us here are old f***s and still work in furlongs and chains.
(once we leave the EU we won't have to use metric ever again!)
Regards
John BHT(The Bowler Hatted Turner)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
My mate Terry Scott he casually says. If you are in that realm of woodturning I for one look forward to seeing more of your work LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forum
Very nice piece and great finish, the enhancement undertaken by pyro works very well. Well done
Regards
Ken

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
great work ... many compliments  :)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another rescuer (I've been doing a bit recently). I like the form,texture and colour,a lovely result.
Congratulations on a successful first post, look forward to seeing many more.
Regards,
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Peteg

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
Thanks again all for the warm weklcome & encouraging comments
Pete

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
Good save on a fine piece of timber. I like the form and shape of this one, the pyro works well.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
I really like this the texture on the bottom really set it off well done .