Author Topic: checker wood bowl  (Read 3071 times)

EnErY

checker wood bowl
« on: April 20, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
Hi all
after seeing what's been posted here I feel out of my depth but what the hell im a blooming new turner this is my comfort zone and im here to progress so here it is a bowl I made today 9x3 ins with ebonised rim made from checker wood so I been  told turned on my record lathe finished in sanding sealer then carnauba wax  and burnishing cream enjoyed turning it for me its a real feat a bowl in a day I like it but im open to comments so I can progress further in my hobby, sorry ; for boring you  ;D ;D ;D
regards
Bill

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: checker wood bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
 Hello Bill, I don't think you will be boring anyone certainly not me how did you do the rim. The only thing I would like to see is a much clearer photograph I do think an important part of displaying work on the forum is a good photograph but that in no way is criticising your Turning as a beginner you are doing well.
                            Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Very nice Bill good finish especially as you haven't been turning for long by the way it is Chequer wood (Sorbus torminalis) one of our oldest forestry trees the fruit were used to flavor beer, which may be related to the ancient symbol of a pub being the chequer-board (although it has also been suggested that the pub name itself was originally brought by the Romans.
I bet that will soon sell mate
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:29:19 PM by woody »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Hi Bill...don't apologise...we've all been there and I'm only just off the bottom rung of the ladder myself. Like you, I started using this forum recently and was a bit self-conscious about posting pics of my work, but the 'old timers' on this site have been remarkably kind in their comments and their advise has been really helpful, especially as regards issues like shape and finish.
keep posting those pics, Bill.

regards...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
Bill,

Please don't apologise for your work, the important thing to remember is we were all once where you are now. Also, you'll be surprised how fast your skills grow and comfort zone expands.

What is important is you enjoy your turning and when you post a picture of a piece you've made, please tell us the story of the work.

As a critique, the underside shape could be a little better, but that will come in the next 3 or 4 bowl's, the finish appears to be good and youve raised a loverly shine on a very nice piece of wood.

So I trust you feel pleased with yourself.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »

Bill, well done other the form which as Bryan has rightly said will come as you not only practise, but study other posts on here and just a look round your home at the forms there, you'll get an eye for detail, that said can't fault this piece, finished really well, love the character of the pink tinge, checker, Woody put up the fiirst piece on here. Hummm

You've done really well, now what did I hear about a cherry piece..

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »
Bill great stuff.

When I started turning my attempts were nothing as good as this. I always remember that I thought 60 grit abrasive was a form of rotary gouge. :)

Keep up the good work.