Author Topic: What is on your workshop roof?  (Read 4227 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

What is on your workshop roof?
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
So, once again I have noticed a damp patch at the back of the workshop,due to losing a bit of felt in the high winds a while back. To sort it out I really need to re-felt the whole roof again.
    I am thinking of having a different material this time so that this may be the last time I ever have to do it,any suggestions?
What type of roof covering do other people have and what problems have you had with it?
the roof is too flat for tiles(I have built it so that the workshop looks smaller than it really is).
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: What is on your workshop roof?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
When we moved in we had as part of the house a 'Sun Room', certainly not posh enough to be a conservatory.

Anyway it's roof is covered in a fibre-glass membrain of some sort. According to the neighbour it's been there quite some tears and it's seems to be standing up to the recent bad weather.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »
You could use a one piece rubber roof. Its like extra thick pondliner and comes with a very long guarantee. 

I will try and find the company my friend used if you are interested.

Paul

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »
I did a fibreglass valley on part of our house roof. As far as I know that hasn't leaked a drop since it was finished. Perhaps a bit more expensive than felt but it worked out a lot cheaper than lead!
There are companies offering fibreglass coatings for flat roofing so there must be something in it!

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
pantiles  ;D

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
Yeah thanks Andy, some people do have workshops to die for, i just have a workshop that will kill me!!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
Tarpaulin at the moment, as like yours mine is leaking !!!!!! I will just re-felt it again one day soon .

ravenge

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
Water usually !!!
But seriously, I just re felted my workshop last summer, the original felt lasted 9 years so if I only have to re-felt every 8,9 or 10 years then I can live with that, got the whole job done in one afternoon too (easy peezy lemon sqeezy!!!) just make sure you have lots of spare Stanley knife blades though!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:33:13 PM by ravenge »

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
If the pitch of your roof is too shallow for tiles then providing the structure of your roof is strong enough 18mm ply covered in fibreglass will last at least 30years Check out a company on line called Glasplies (an excellent company to deal with ,highly recommended,  youn can talk directly to one of their tchnical guys for advice and the girls are very helpful). It's a job you could do yourself with a little practice,give them a ring and they'll send you a brochure and price list.
Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
Thanks all for your comments, I guess  I will end up felting it again, but I was thinking about using the corrugated stuff from Wickes. The trouble with that is my neighbour has it and it has warped and lifted and looks awful.
Still with summer nearly here I won't have to worry about it for a while ......will I????
regards
John BHT

Paul Disdle

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »
I would suggest he did not fit it correctly, it requires a lot of fixings to tame it. You can find fitting instructions on the wickes website.

Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »

I can only add I'm lucky that the manufacture of my shop used a very heavy grade of mineral felt an stapled it down, what looks like every 1/2" .. mind for all the rain an a week of snow on it, it look a little green .. mossy ..

How cost efficient is it for a firm to come and tar/felt your size of roof, you'd have no down time, and other than a drip of hot tar, you could continue working ..

I've found in our other line, it's best to buy pre-cut print mounts off a firm, than for me to cut them and have odd waste pieces from a sheet.

Fibreglass was always used on slate or any roof to stop them from slipping off as nails failed, but for houses with it, I understand there was concern with fighting a fire in emergency ..  but sounds good for a shop roof ... Oh the options.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
My workshop is my garage, converted. 5 years ago I built an extension to my house and in the process extended the then garage outwards at the front and side to join the detached garage onto the house. The garage and it's extension was all flat roof and I fibre glassed the whole area. The materials all came from a local builders merchant and is as easy as felting, but alot better and am told it will last 25 - 30 years. That'll see me out.  Far superior to felt. Just need to be careful of the fumes etc. Malcolm.