Author Topic: Ripple  (Read 3434 times)

Paul Disdle

Ripple
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
This is an attempt at something a bit more sculptural

I have no idea what the wood is except it was very hard and I spend nearly as much time at the sharpening station as I did at the lathe. Maybe someone can ID it.

The whole piece was sanded then oiled. It is roughly 4" high and 5" diameter

C&C most welcome

Thanks Paul

Mark Sanger

Re: Ripple
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi Paul

I love to see people experimenting and playing around with ideas and other media. So you get a thumbs up from me and just keep making and enjoying the journey.

As for the wood, it is very difficult to say just from a pic, but at a guess it may be Oak, burr there will be others with far more knowledge to me about what wood it may be. Burrs can contain bits of stone dust etc that gets into them as they grow, also the swirly grain and tight formations give varying densities. You often find that a harder tool is worth the investment if you are turning a lot of burrs as it reduces the amount of sharpening needed.

It appears on the top section you have what may be blooming. IE areas that appear a bit cloudy within the finish. This can be where the oil has been applied to the wood trapping moisture underneath. Not a problem let the piece dry out and then apply more oil finally buffing it back with a buffing wheel and compound.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Paul,

I can't help with the ID of the Burr, maybe if you posted a picture of the bark, but the wood looks too pale to be oak.

This piece is really interesting to me. Can I ask, the central area with the sphere in it, does it have convex sides to keep the sphere centralised or concave ones so it can wobble about please?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
The centre is slightly cone shaped so the sphere finds its place and doesn't wobble about, hope that makes sense.

Here is another picture

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:19:23 PM »
Paul,

A much better photo. You can see how the sphere is held as well, thank you.

As for the wood, it a bit of branch burr, and very close grained. The colour makes me think of Apple or maybe Pear.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
Hello Paul,
             I'm afraid to say I do not like this one although I appreciate the work that has gone into it. There appears to be tooling marks on the inside but as Mark said that could be bloom through the drying process. I think I don't like it becaus eof the amount of unturned timber at the bottom. Just my opinion anyway.
But keep up the experimental work. :)
Regards
John BHT

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »
Interesting comment John, every since I finished it I can't decide if it needs the base section cutting down. If I cut it I get another chance to work with this lovely patterned timber.

Thanks

Paul

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:03:47 PM »
I think any opportunity to work with nice wood is one to be taken. In my opinion I think it needs reducing but I would say to leave it 2"-3"  thick. Put a piece of card in front of it and then look at it.
regards
John
PS it might not need it at all it's just a thought.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:06:17 AM »
Hi Paul....one thing that has not drawn many comments or questions, is the nature of the sphere. I'm currently playing with a range of polished stone inserts, gem-stones and rings, and I wondered what it is. Looks to me to be a glass marble!
Whatever it is, it's just the sort of thing that I'd squirrel away in the knowledge that it would come in useful to work into a turning of soem sort, some day.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
The sphere is a 40mm marble, this one was probably acquired from a charity shop. But I have bought marbles from here before: http://www.houseofmarbles.com/marble-shop

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
Thanks for the link, Paul. I can imaging turning a hollow on the inside of the lid of a box, such that the marble sits in the hollow with the bulk of it exposed from the outside, but enough of a ring of wood left intact to retain the marble in place. Might have a go on the weekend
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.