Author Topic: Help identifying this timber, please.  (Read 6831 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Help identifying this timber, please.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
If you want to make things for your own use from woods with known poisons that's fine but if you intend them for sale then remember that you are liable by law as well as any personal sense of responsibility. Personally common sense seems to dictate that if I know that a wood contains toxins and potentially can harm I am am not going to Google the number of instances of poisoning have occurred, I am not going to use it. Too many turners are seemingly unaware that some woods are unsuitable for certain functions and maybe there is a need for some decent articles in magazines and discussions on forums explaining the properties of different woods. Unfortunately we seldom hear of the side effects of a lot of woods only the wonderful properties of them and the traditional, handed down knowledge and wisdom has disappeared as the craft has become more of a hobby and less of a profession. Different people react differently to different woods and to make a generalised statement saying any wood is safe is IMHO irresponsible to say the least. Check out the toxicity charts found in a number of places and see what the actual chemical constituents of a given wood are, don't blithely state that any given wood is safe. I feel strongly about this having had several friends who have fallen ill and in one case had to give up woodworking altogether due to the toxicity of a wood (in his case walnut)

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

EnErY

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All parts of the plant are poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe, and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic. The main toxin in the plant is cytisine, a nicotinic receptor agonist. It is used as a food plant by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species, including the buff-tip.

A friend of mine turned some laburnum and his Grandson put it in with his pet rabbit it was died the next day also cats have been known to die after scratching the tree 

I'm that unfortunate friend the vet confirmed it was the laburnum was told never use shavings off this species for animals also wash hands after turning it
regards
Bill

woody

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All parts of the plant are poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess.

But  using it from a turners point of view there really is nothing to worry about . ie no specific extra PPE is required .

I dont want to offend anyone but are you an expert on this subject because that is a very irresponsible statement to make if your not, one health problem I have developed over the years through wood dust is dermatitis on my hands some wood workers have developed throat cancer which is one of the health warnings with Yew have I got any medical evidence of this no but I have common sense which tells me to take precautions when working wood   no one is saying dont use these woods just be sensible Google (arrow poisons) and you will see some are from tree sap  happy turning
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:53:07 PM by woody »

ravenge

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
I read in a book once that every part of the yew tree is toxic apart from the flesh of the berries!
When I first started turning I was working a piece of yew (dry) without dust protection, and abt 2-3 hours afterwards my lips started to tingle so did my finger ends was also having problems passing water for a few days, now I can't say it was the yew to blame for sure, but I've always used a respirator whenever using yew since!!! (which is just common sense with any dry wood anyway!!!)

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Do companies selling wood (eg yandles ) have a legal responsibility if someone buys wood from them which later causes them health problems ?? Obviously lung protection should be used when working in any dusty environment , but dust particles entering lungs is a different issue than allergy which is a different issue again to toxicity .

woody

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
Craft supplies  always issued a health warning with toxic woods so people were forewarned and therefore forearmed Padauke was one always carried a health warning because the dust was a skin irritant and by golly did it itch on some people that is strange but like a lot of things it didn't effect everybody