Author Topic: Lathe Height  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Lathe Height
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Do I remember right, up to about 10 years ago some manufacturers sold tools, unhandled and also handled with a choice of normal and long pattern handle?
Ashley Iles sell all of their tools handled or unhandled. Without a handle is around £5 cheaper. Then you can either turn your own, or use one of the handle systems that have become popular over the past few years. I have a lot of my own turned handles but I like Simon Hope's handles http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk/tool_handles_5.htmlfor value for money but there are other makes out there.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Lathe Height
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
I think you will find that all the major tool makers will sell their tools unhandled. Shops tend not to stock them because they don't look so tempting as their handled cousins. In my opinion most commercially available tools...and every roughing gouge I have ever come across ...are underhandled.
As for the reason for longer handles giving better control...
When cutting the tool rest acts as a fulcrum and the tool as a lever. The length of that lever beyond the fulcrum works against you while that on your side works in your favour. Therefore the closer the toolrest to the work and the maximum length of handle gives you more leverage and hence control.
Brian