Author Topic: First Sierra Pen  (Read 3339 times)

arcos

First Sierra Pen
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
This one has been a trial!

Could not get the shape right then finish was terrible... Its taken a number of attempts to get this finished and I'm ok with it (I need a barrel trimmer!)

The wood is peach from one of my trees. It was a dead branch so pretty dry. Has been standing for a few weeks now in the barn so all should be good.

The finish is BLO, left to soak in then BLO/varnish mix. I did try CA but think I built up too quickly and it went quite pitted (maybe got it hot?)

Having finished this, and looking forward to the end result, I am not sure that I like the style of the Sierra kit. Quite a heavy pen and well, hmmm jury is out on this kit. Looks much nicer in photos than in real life.

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
Re: First Sierra Pen
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
very nice looking pen

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Shape looks fine but the finish looks dull.

CA can give a pitted finish if put on too thickly, just sand back until the finish is smooth & then burnish.

Cheers.

Doug

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »

This one has been a trial!

Whot !!!! by george you've got it ..  at this rate you'll have mastered them ..

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
I like the look of this stubby pen and think you've done a cracking job,well done!
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
Yep, it's a pen!

but for one so new to turning, it's a damn fine pen.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Thanks for all your great comments guys!

I really didnt enjoy turning this one and, to be honest, I am really not sure about the pen itself. It's also very heavy to use. Oddly a friend popped round just after I had finished it and he absolutely loved it and felt that the weight related to quality!

Doug, I am still 'playing' with CA and yes, I think I applied a coat too quickly which resulted in my having to sand it right back. In real life it isn't appear that dull and has a nice 'satin-esque' sheen (if that makes sense?).

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
You are very self critical!
Have you tried using micro mesh with your CA finish?  This will smooth out your lumps and bumps,  you will need to use water as a lubricant to prevent clogging.  You should achieve a glass like finish.
    Good luck.

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
You are very self critical!
Have you tried using micro mesh with your CA finish?  This will smooth out your lumps and bumps,  you will need to use water as a lubricant to prevent clogging.  You should achieve a glass like finish.
    Good luck.

Using micro mesh with CA comes hand in hand, similar to Morecambe and Wise ...  :)