Author Topic: careful handling  (Read 3159 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
careful handling
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
It seems that the very latest woodyturner's musthaves... if we believe the ads, that is... are tubular handles with interchangable tool blades. Now I can see the advantage of that kind of system for a travelling demonstrator looking for a more compact toolbox but for the life of me I can see no advantage whatsoever... but a deal of extra faffing about... for your average shed-bound woody like myself. And as we make up the majority of the potential tool market have the industry got it wrong or have I missed something???
Happy Easter everybody
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: careful handling
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
or have I missed something???

Nope. it's just tool makers trying to get us to expend more hard earned cash on the next 'gotta-have!'

Having said that, Like George I do have one as part of a Hollowing set. So it has enabled me to go down the local engineering shop and have 16mm bar made into special tools quite cheaply.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »
The good thing about these sets is if you want the tool but not the handle at least you can buy just the shaft & turn a handle for it, so saving money.

Cheers.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »

Most all tools of our trade can be obtained unhandle, great thing in then making your own comfortable handle, then you'll need a handle tool first to turn them ..

I've wondered on all the systems and locking means to for interchangeable blades single or double ends, how much extra faffing about as Brian put it is involved or safe changing and handling or storage, it's nice to see and grab a handle.

Then should you have a hollowing system handle and collet locking, a few specialized blades may not be out of place ..  horses for courses ..  it likely the way I'd enter into such a system, if it was the need for any more tools, can only use one at a time.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
I agree with all of the comments made here but it must be remembered that if it wasn't for the hobby turners supposedly demanding these tools it would be very difficult to source them. It's not long ago that you used to grind up an old file or whatever(see the other thread)to make your chisels etc. Personally I think if you make your own handles they suit yourself and they can instill a little pride in your work, I can still remember the first job I applied for after my apprenticeship and the foreman telling me to open my tool bag and then inspecting my tools. If they were rusty or blunt or in poor condition you didn't get the job. These days all the tools are supplied for you.
    There is something to be said for the old ways.
Guess I'm just as grumpy as Brian. ;D

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
It seems younannymouse then; this kit is just the latest in a long line of industry-induced catchpennies. I have often wondered if I were alone in my thoughts that those tool-making chaps...and chapesses... in Sheffield are far more interested in making us all into avid tool collectors than better turners. That makes good business sence, of course, but I bet a good few newbies...me among them...have been caught by the admen( :'( a little painful!) Over the years.
Tarra
Brian

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
I thought that most woodturners accumulated tools and thought about what to use them for afterwards
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian