Author Topic: Turning Acrylics?  (Read 7037 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Turning Acrylics?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
Arcos, something I posted a while ago might be useful and was expanded upon my the forum members.

Nail buffs are based on micromesh - the really fine abrasive cloth that costs a fortune. Great for getting a really good finish on acrylic's.

Also dead easy to buy cheaply in £1 (€1) shops.

Link - http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,782.0.html
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
There is a knack to turning Acrylic pen blanks, and that is to use very sharp tools and always take your time .. I have turned 100's of pens in this material and contrary to what has been said, when this material has been finished they look great ...  ;)

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
To your usual standard Jim!!!!
Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Mark Sanger

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:03 AM »
As with any material there are unique characteristics. Just like you can not turn Sycamore in the same way that you would the Australian golf field timbers due to the differing fiber density and resulting chip formation you can not expect to turn alternatives in the same way you can wood.

Finish end grain exotics with too much pressure through abrasive and you will get heat checks, and by knowing how to turn acrylics/alternatives correctly you will get beautiful results as George and Jim have shown in their work.

arcos

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:18 AM »
Some great tips there guys thank you!

Tooth paste, nail buffers....?

Certainly easier to obtain here than 'shelf' polishes!

One of the things I like about wood turning is the wood! I like the smell, the grain, the feel. It is so tactile and warm.

Turning a plastic pen does go a little against why I turn but it is just another medium that I want to have a crack at. Likewise I have some rams horn from the local shepherd stored away for when I have a little more courage to have a go at.

Some of the pens I see are really not to my liking and I need to think carefully about the blank colour/style I want to turn as I know that the wrong colour/style will put me off ever trying another one!