Author Topic: A piece of firewood!  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
A piece of firewood!
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
This piece of silver birch has been sat in my log-shed since we thinned a couple of trees in our garden, two and a half years ago. It was an awkward shaped junction of a few side-branches, which is why it escaped the splitting-axe. I wasn't turning in those days, so it was a bonus to find it intact after I'd bought my lathe.

It's about 12cm diameter and 7 cm deep....and it really tested my emerging skills.

All comments and criticisms appreciated...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

Re: A piece of firewood!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »
Beautiful piece of timber and a great job creating a beautiful form out of it

Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »

Les,

You just never know the beauty that can be within a log nor as it escaped the axe, that one day you'd turned it into this stunning piece, the results are excellent in form and finish given the degree of spalting, love the colours and to see you've removed the chuck mount, shows you've thought through the piece, pair of V cuts would add further interest, then that's my view.

Be very pleased.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
Thanks George, Paul and David. I am enjoying turning so much and tickled pink that I'm able to get decent results. When I last turned - over 20 years ago - I was making some very mundane, functional stuff, so the 20-year break must have done me some good.
I bought a set of soft jaws for my self-centring chuck, just so that I could remove the original chuck/fixing marks.
Just one thing, David, when you say that a pair of V cuts could add to the piece, do you mean on the underside? I wouldn't have wanted to put any form of decorative mark on the outer face of the bowl, as I feel that the grain and the spalting make a strong enough statement to stand alone.

Thanks again, guys, for the encouraging remarks....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
Les,

you've achieved a really good curve in that piece. A smooth transition all the way from the top, through the maxm diameter down to the base without a wrong angle anywhere I can see.

Unusual foot though, the recurve but it works.

One word of warning for spalted timber, the real pale stuff is much softer than the wood coloured areas, that is when sanding they will abrade far faster and although you'd be unlikely to see it on the finished piece, as you run it through your hands you can feel it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Beautifully tirned piece. I love the form and the spalting. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
Thanks George, Paul and David. I am enjoying turning so much and tickled pink that I'm able to get decent results. When I last turned - over 20 years ago - I was making some very mundane, functional stuff, so the 20-year break must have done me some good.
I bought a set of soft jaws for my self-centring chuck, just so that I could remove the original chuck/fixing marks.
Just one thing, David, when you say that a pair of V cuts could add to the piece, do you mean on the underside? I wouldn't have wanted to put any form of decorative mark on the outer face of the bowl, as I feel that the grain and the spalting make a strong enough statement to stand alone.

Thanks again, guys, for the encouraging remarks....Les

Yes Les, didn't mean to confuse it's just a couple of V's to add a balance, where an as you may wish ... An no .. no ... grain and the spalting alone makes this piece.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Hi Les,
Very nice bowl and a job done well.
Spalted birch can be be extremely soft if left to long before working it. 2 yrs is a long time and I have found logs can be useless in much shorter time frame (or maybe I have been unlucky)
Well done.
Ken

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
Very nice turned piece Les, well done.  ;)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »
Nice one, great finish.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
Very nice, well turn.

Cheers