Author Topic: Experimenting with turning trinket boxes  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Experimenting with turning trinket boxes
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Hi folks....I've spent a few hours today experimenting with different shapes for little trinket boxes.

This first one is made from a yew branch which had a nasty crack in it, so it needed a bit of remedial work half way through turning. it's about 125mm high, overall.

The next one was out of a piece of spalted beach, which I wanted to keep as plain as possible. I can see from the picture that I need to spend a little more attention on finishing the lip where the top and bottom fit together, but otherwise I'm quite happy with the finish.

Finally, I tried a piece of yellow-heart, just so that it could be about as different as possible to the others. I wasn't very impressed with the smell of the wood when it was being worked, though. The little button on top is made out of blackwood.

One thing I've realised is that I'll need a thin-bladed parting tool. Mine is removing too much material and this is making it difficult to match up the grain between base and lid....it wasn't a problem with the yellow-heart, but caused problems with the wilder-grained woods.

All comments will be appreciated.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

arcos

Re: Experimenting with turning trinket boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
Ah my inspiration!!!!!  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »
Gwyntog,

Not sure about the Yew pot, the knob lacks the correct definition.

I like the Spalted Beech, you've got a good fit and I like the shape, with the foot rim it sort of reminds me of a 9mm round!

But the Yellow Heart, that cracked it, that is a fine box to look at and the know really works with it.  Well Done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »

Hi Gwyntog, Acros said it all and Bryan sumed it up, you'd take two really hard timbers for possible grain match after parting an turning with the Yew and spalted beech and they've come out well, just the knob detailed mentioned, yep the Yellow Heart is the icing on the cake, the piece de resistance .. be very pleased with your experiments.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''