Author Topic: Mantle Bowl  (Read 6705 times)

Mark Sanger

Mantle Bowl
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
This piece is an elongated mantle bowl 6 inch wide, 3 deep  x around 2 high, in oak with a contrasting base and sphere as a focal point.

C&C welcome

Mark Sanger

Re: Mantle Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
Hi George

Thanks for your comments. Your thoughts on the base are valid and I welcome all comments, just because I may 'think' I have gotten it right, it is when others point something out that I can take a fresh look at a piece. We can often be blinded by our own thoughts of our own pieces and while I try to be self critical it is very difficult to see the wood for the trees at times. lets face it we all like praise but often find it harder to accept criticism.

So I would rather people say what they genuinely think rather than pat me on the back as this does not help me develop.

Beginners mind. 

Mark Sanger

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
Actually I posted the wrong pic, if you remember you did pick me up on this before and I reduced the base in thickness until you were happy.  :)

here is the correct pic so here is the correct pic. It is your no BS approach to critique that helps.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:19:21 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »

If you hadnt turned the bowl so thin you wouldnt have had to put that ball of wood in it to keep it in place. LOL

Seriously as usual superb conept and execution.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

If you hadnt turned the bowl so thin you wouldnt have had to put that ball of wood in it to keep it in place. LOL

Seriously as usual superb conept and execution.

Cheers Martin

LOL, you caught me out guv  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
Mark,

I have to agree it's a wonderful thing to look at. I'd be happy with either of the base's.

But for me, putting it into context as a Mantle Bowl, I think it would need something to give it a little height as it sits higher against the eyeline. However as a Table Centre piece, where you look down on it, I think it would be just fine.

All a matter of personal perspective I guess.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
Mark,

I have to agree it's a wonderful thing to look at. I'd be happy with either of the base's.

But for me, putting it into context as a Mantle Bowl, I think it would need something to give it a little height as it sits higher against the eyeline. However as a Table Centre piece, where you look down on it, I think it would be just fine.

All a matter of personal perspective I guess.

Hi Bryan

Thank you for your comment it is much appreciated.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »

Hi Mark, should 1/2" (1.3cm) or more been taken off the base, it's not made a whole lot of difference to the look of the piece, if the pic's size are the same.

As usual a superb pieces.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Paul Disdle

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
I think the bowl shape is inspiring and I like the use of the contrasting base and sphere. I wonder if the curve of the underside of the bowl would be enhanced by extending the base further under the curve.

Just a thought

Paul

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

Hi Mark, should 1/2" (1.3cm) or more been taken off the base, it's not made a whole lot of difference to the look of the piece, if the pic's size are the same.

Cheers   David

Dave

Thank you for commenting.

Apologies but you have lost me 1/2" 1.3 cm, the two don't equate or am I missing something. :)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
Paul

Thank you for your comment much appreciated. I will answer you thoughts in my next comment as many have thoughts on the base.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.

In relation to the base it has caused much discussion not only here but in all the forums I have posted it in.  Some like it and some feel it could be changed in some way.

All of these comments, suggestions are all valid as each of us look at pieces and decide if we like it, if it could be changed, or how we may ourselves tackle the same piece, often but not always based on what we like, have been exposed to and tend to sway towards within our own work. Of course at times a piece is just awful.  :) We have all made them, this is why I like my chiminea.  :)

For this reason I enjoy receiving comments of any veriety about my work as it comes from people that think differently than me and gives me the option to look at things from a different perspective, that that I would come across due to my own programming.

So than you all for taking the time to give me your honest thoughts. It means a lot.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

Cheers   David

Dave

Thank you for commenting.

Apologies but you have lost me 1/2" 1.3 cm, the two don't equate or am I missing something. :)

I'd thought that had not looked right from the converter, rechecking it made a calculation,  .5 inches multiplied by 2.54 = 1.3 in centimeters, it's round up what should be more like 12.7 if in millimeters, what it is this metric ... when we see so many times millimeters rounded to whole numbers 8, 10 and 12 etc ... eg 25.4 = 1" not 25 ..   :o ...

Same for all are weights, measures and £-s-d ... rip off down size by metric ...   >:(  ...

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
Hello Mark,
              I think this is an inspired piece and yes I can see why you said it was for a mantle shelf. I like the fragility of the bowl and the contrasting seemingly solidity of the ball.Disregarding the difference in the bases I get the feeling that the ball is drawn to the base, almost magnetic like.
Just my thoughts.
I like it very much.
Regards
john
BHT

Mark Sanger

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
Thanks John

Once I have gotten the project out of the way I am doing at the moment and actually can get back to making proper I will be developing this together with some new sculptural turning designs that I am now 3 months late getting into. So I hope to get some much larger ones produced (after I have been to George's and used all of his equipment and brains to make me a substantial running steady) :) ( it's payment for all the tuition I give him FOC)  :)