Author Topic: Spalted Beech Hollowform  (Read 7316 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Spalted Beech Hollowform
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »
George has got me as well. Going by the later comment about hole size I'd say non of the comp entries were Hollow forms. Is there a definitive definition? (Post crossed with Georges Prior reply)
And my apologies, I posted EEE (I know it's Tripoli) but I did mean to expand that to 'U Beaut EEE' an Austrailian soft wax compound with Tripoli (also know as Rotton Stone I believe) in it. However I thought it was a much finer abrasive than 800 grit.

I shall consider that this is the thing I learnt today, thank you.

And the more I look at the carving - the less I like it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:20:21 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
I don’t believe that there is a definite description just personal opinion with lots of grey area: for example if I turn a classic tear drop shaped vase form but hollow it thru a 1/2" hole.....is it a vase or a hollow form? well I believe it’s both and it’s up to the maker to choose.

I don’t know for sure about the 800grit of EEE but if you sand a piece of acrylic to 1500 and look at it under a spotlight you will see swirls/scratch's- if you then apply EEE the scratch's don’t improve if anything they get worse.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
I can live with any description of the turning.

As I said it's the first real hollow/closed form I've managed to make to any degree of success (even wall thickness and 'intact walls'), so I'm quietly pleased with myself.

It'll all crash when I bu88er the next one up though I've no doubt!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »
Could a hollow form be described as a form that has required a degree of blind turning to finish?

Paul

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
Nice piece sir, with very nice grain.  ;)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Hi Bryan

I hope you are well.  Your practice is coming on and thank you for sharing.

I rarely give critique to pieces on forums as I believe we all have personal tastes and most of it is subjective. Self critique through observation of the work we enjoy and by exploring related subjects is some times more helpful for us to progress in our ideas and methods.

Just because I think something should be done in a certain way does not mean I am right, obviously there are sound guides in relation to form, proportion and composition but these are guides that may or may not work in certain situations. I also listen to my immediate feelings about a piece a after a few seconds our subjective side takes over.

Keep making and enjoying the process as you are doing well. With my work I try to refine each piece just a little compared to the last. I look at it, see what I like and what I don't, jot it down and see if I feel the same way the next day, leave it on a shelf for a week or so so I can look at it and then try to tweak it a bit hopefully for the better.

Over the years I have found that the things I like about my work change and now I may not like what I was turning a couple of years ago. I guess it is a continuous path we tread that will never end.

Keep hollowing, and if you are ever down this way in sunny Dorset give me a call and come have a cuppa and we can chew the cud and make some shaving. I may manage to get myself up to the club as and when I get my latest project finished which is taking all my time.

Apologies I have run off on one.  :)