Author Topic: Pendant Fittings?  (Read 2892 times)

arcos

Pendant Fittings?
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
What started out as a honey dipper ended up being a number of drop pendants (dont ask!)

Anyway, I watched a video a few weeks ago where a guy turned a very nice drop pendant but drilled a hole BEFORE turning (oh for square wood!)

Well, I am pretty pleased with the way they have turned out and just had a play around with shapes and 'ideas'.

A couple I can drill (when I find a small enough drill bit), the others need some kind of fitting/clasp?

Anyone produce drop pendants? What fittings do you use?

I will be off the the Chinese shop in my nearest city tomorrow (yes, a hospital visit) where I have seen a selection of fittings. I am guessing that they come in a range of designs and sizes. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Pendant Fittings?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Hi Arcos, Just Google "Findings" and take your choice. Regards John
John Smith

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Also if you have a hobbycraft store near you they do a range of findings, Axminster do some as well but they are a bit expensive.

john

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
Have you searched eBay, the mail comes to you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »
Hi Arcos,
From other posts I believe you are in Portugal, not the UK but I deal with a local bead shop who sell all sorts of bits and pieces for making up jewellery. I have just looked at their website and they do ship to Europe at quite reasonable costs.
As John Smith, a google search of 'Findings' should find what you want, and maybe a local shop, but if you want to try Spellbound, their website is:-
http://www.spellboundbead.co.uk/category/43/Findings
That is their 'Findings' page, but you might find some of their other stuff interesting.

And they have a 'Techniques' page which I have found very useful for tips on how to use their products.
http://www.spellboundbead.co.uk/page/11/Techniques
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

arcos

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
Thanks guys!!

On my way to the 'big' city and then being asked to pick up a writing pad amongst other bits and pieces for my friend in hospital I stopped off at a large Chinese shop to discover they hold a HUGE range of 'findings'!

I have picked up a few bits and pieces along with 5m of black leather strapping(?) and 5m of brown leather strapping(?) as well as a 3mm drill bit (for not too much money) ;-)

I have completed my first drop pendant with a nice little silver 'clasp', fitted with an 'o' ring and leather adjustable 'necklace'.

Aside from the slightly odd shape of the pendant (which I like, doesn't appear to grab many others who have seen it)... I am really quite surprised by how much I like the end result!

Will try and get a photo tomorrow.

The issue, and now understanding of why a hole is drilled PRIOR to turning is that, despite being incredibly careful and drilling the hole from both sides, it seems to ALWAYS tear a very small piece of wood from around the pendant! Very frustrating! Even with some extensive practice I can only achieve about 20% good hole, the rest have a nic somewhere around the hole, even a very minor nic is HUGE considering the piece being so small!

So, tomorrow is pendant turning day ;-)

Will work with the assumption that I will HAVE to use some 'findings' to secure the piece and hope that I can produce some nice, alternative shapes/finishes!