Author Topic: Skew Chisel  (Read 19344 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: Skew Chisel
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
When I was first introduced to the skew (by an experienced amateur) the tool rest was set up high and I mastered it straight away. I still sometimes raise the rest depending on the job. However I still get annoyed when I experience 'spiralling'. One style of skew not mentioned is the Sorby 'spindlemaster'. One of their claims is that you'll never get a dig in. It really is a delight to use.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
Interesting

Anybody use a skewchigouge?

Paul

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »
So I did alter one of my skews, a 3/4" one that is ground straight across(I know technically it's not a skew then but that is one that I have)(it's a mood thing). I hardly noticed the difference but that is probably down to me. One thing I did notice though was I could turn a slightly tighter curve at the bottom of the sweep than I could normally do comfortably with that particular chisel. Although using a square/flat chisel it did feel a little bit like the oval skew on the cut.
I didn't try a pommel cut as my wood was round to begin with.
A very interesting experiment none the less, thanks Steve.
regards
John BHT

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
John, good to hear you tried it out. You have found the biggest advantage of this grind that you get a tighter and  easier curve on the convex sweep. I find every little advantage that saves time helps, as you will be aware it is not easy making a reasonable living from hand woodturning. The less time I spend swapping tools during an item the better. P.S. I love your idea of working in a bowler hat.

Paul, sorry but I have never tried a skewchigouge so am unable to comment.

David (woodndesign), the tools have been sharpened back a lot but not over a long time. My skew will last me only 12 months, The 1" spindle gouge you saw will last me approx 2 1/2 years. Remember I spend a minimum of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week turning and 80% of my work is between centres.

Being new to the forum, I am impressed with the work that is being done by so many to keep the art of woodturning alive,  keep up the good work all those that are willing to give so much time, help and advice to others. I don't have much time to post on forums but I shall endeavor to pop in regularly.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »

Thanks for your reply, Steve, it is understandable as to the wear via resharping with your long term use and after all it's the main tools you use. It's only manufactures who deem to tell a turner he needs an arsenal of tools in order to turn.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''