Author Topic: Skew Chisel  (Read 19363 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Skew Chisel
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
A radiused skew either has the square edges of the blade rounded so that it slips over the toolrest easier,or it has an arc shaped blade instead of the normal straight edge of the skewed blade,I have radiused the blade on my 1 1/8" skew as I find it more controllable like this,whereas on my 1/2"skew I leave the skewed blade straight if you get my meaning,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Oh,if I remember Paul,I`ll bring my skew chisels up the club friday night to show you

Paul Disdle

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
Thanks Eric it was the arc shaped blade I had seen.  Did you just reshape on a grinder? Great see you Friday.

Paul

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
yes,just a quick reshape,it didn`t take much to do it,as the oval blades seem quite a bit thinner than the square blades

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »
As a production turner I favour the 1" flat skew without doubt. It maybe just the fact I was taught that way and have 40 years experience with it.
The skew is the most used and versatile tool in my rack by far and as the previous posts say it is all about practice.

I do love the skew and recommend that you take others advise and find a professional tutor for tips.
I agree with Bodrighywood, a good woodturner does not always make a good tutor. I class myself as a good turner  but I am a lousy tutor. :-[

My tips would be Use a nice, light grip Learn the overhand grip. Almost  all of your control comes from the hand at the end of the handle.  The hand closest to the work generally just keeps the tool on the tool rest.
I would recommend that as a beginner make sure you watch the leading edge and keep the tip cutting. The ability to use the planning method is for experienced woodturners.
Most important of all is keep razor sharp, as with all your tools but even more important with the skew.

Stick with it and when you get the hang of it you will find it is almost therapeutic as you peel of the shavings.
p.s. Never forget that concentration is required at all times with the Skew.
There is a clip video of me turning a very simple spindle almost all by skew on youtube    . If you view it may I suggest turning the sound down as the lathe was waiting for a new thrust bearing and is noisy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRDGq551PA
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:53:29 PM by Steve Jones »

Paul Disdle

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
Thats a very good video for learning from thanks. It looks from the video that you have your tool rest high almost the same height as the top of the spindle, do you?

Thanks
Paul

If using the skew becomes as therapeutic as when I watch you I will be one happy chap!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »
I like the spindle steady idea Steve. Not seen that one before. I also do a lot of spindle work though not production work like you, and the skew is probably my most used tool though like most it took a while to get the hang of it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
good video,I don`t think thats the video for a beginner though,as one handed skewing could be very dangerous for a beginner,major dig ins come to mind,also, a little niggle of mine,why is it professional turners always say you need to take lessons from a professional to learn,I`ve learnt everything I know from various clubs over the years,not all of us have the money to take professional tutalage as we`re on a very tight budget mostly,sorry rant over,regards,

Eric.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
,also, a little niggle of mine,why is it professional turners always say you need to take lessons from a professional to learn,I`ve learnt everything I know from various clubs over the years,not all of us have the money to take professional tutalage as we`re on a very tight budget mostly,sorry rant over,regards,

Eric.

I think the point that is being made isn't to have tuition from a professional turner but from a turner who is both competent and can teach. I have found that turners of experience can often have habits and methods of working that are learned over many years and aren't always good ones to show a new turner (like one handed skewing) and when teaching, the old axiom of 'Don't do what I do do what I say' comes into play. I have found, when teaching, that some of the things I do such as moving the tool rest with the lathe still running, need to be dropped as it isn't a good idea yet something I do a lot. You only have to watch some of the videos on YouTube made by experienced turners to see that experience and teaching skills don't go hand in hand.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
I think that it is nice that Steve Jones made an honest comment about his tutoring skills. I can remember one of my students coming to me for lessons after having lessons with a "professional" turner. I mounted the wood on the lathe between centres and told him to rough it down, he looked at me with fright in his eyes and said "I have never done that before."Apparently this instructor never let him actually turn, he just stood and watched.!! So although turning for a living his tutoring was c**p.
       I also fully agree with Steve about keeping your skew razor sharp. As far as the "Arc" on the blade is concerned, I think virtually all of my skews have a slight arc.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
Thats a very good video for learning from thanks. It looks from the video that you have your tool rest high almost the same height as the top of the spindle, do you?

No Paul, the tool rest is only very slightly above centre, The angle of cut means the chisel cuts higher up on the spindle.
Eric, sorry I should of said that no one should attempt to turn one handed until they have mastered the tools. Like I said I'm a lousy tutor.
 Also I am sorry if you felt I was pushing the professionals but as Bodrighywood said I was merely making the point you need good advice to start if you start on the wrong foot you will have an uphill struggle from day one. You don't have to pay for lessons to get advice.
A great point by Bodrightywood that experienced turners have bad habits and methods I have many. I laughed at moving the rest with the lathe running I do it all the time. :-[
One tip I use concerns the grinding of the flat Skew. I always soften the edge of the grind as shown in the picture.
This makes handling easier especially when making cuts on convex sweeps and pummel cuts.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
Well they do say you learn something new everyday, although I consider myself fairly skilled and experienced with the skew "softening" the edge as in the picture is a new one on me. ( I seem to remember seeing it a long time ago and thinking that the chisel had been badly sharpened). So tomorrow I am going to alter one of my skews and see how I get on with it. Funny how you turn, sharpen,work in particular ways for years and get used to doing it that way and then whoosh... a new idea(to you) appears and the proverbial light bulb is switched on.
Thanks Steve.
 I have been wracking my brain to see if I have any bad habits (turning wise)I'm bound to have some but I can't think of any at the moment. (apart from the habit of not charging enough)
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »

Steve, well founded comments, nice video as to how its done and such a simple steady, you've sharpened those tools back somewhat over time.

Thank you for sharing.

David.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »

I have been wracking my brain to see if I have any bad habits (turning wise)I'm bound to have some but I can't think of any at the moment. (apart from the habit of not charging enough)
Regards
John BHT

Haha there's a challenge, I'll watch you next time you are demoing at the club John LOL.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
Hi Pete,
           that'll  be next month then :P
Regards
John BHT