Author Topic: Chequered Red and White Corian Pen  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
Chequered Red and White Corian Pen
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
It is made from Red and White Corian, cut into cubes then each cube is glued back together alternating the colours. I used a piece of black plastic for the center band and the pen accents are those from a slimline pen in black satin.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Chequered Red and White Corian Pen
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
Jim,

I'm seeing a very retro '60's' pen here. No idea if that was your aim or design, or even if it's just the image I get.

How do you get that shine on Corian please - is it a buffing system or other method?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Hi Bryan,

No it wasn't my aim for a retro, but it maybe now ...  ;D

I actually tried it with chrome first before i decided for the black accents.

Regarding the shine, i am sure that it comes down to the material, as i find plain corian buffs up better than the speckled ones? It is finished using micro mesh and two coats of Hut Ultra Gloss ...

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »
Great look, I'm doing some segmented blank prep this week for a demo on Saturday and guess what good idea I've just had :-)

Interesting method of preparing the turned pen for the micromesh that I was told was use a cheap "Tesco Value Cream Cleaner" (its very slightly abrasive) on a piece of 600 Abronet to get a good base for polishing.
Guess its a bit like T Cut but at 32p for 500ml a good bit cheaper.
PS wear Goggles and cover the Lathe base.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
Hi Jim,
         nice pen and very striking colours, you wouldn't lose this one in a hurry. It works well with the black and I like it .
Whenever I use Corian,and I've only turned the speckled stuff, I sand to 600G and then use burnishing cream and it comes up a treat.
T cut works pretty good too.
Regards
John BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
Good looking job. You do realise, Jim, that this is segmented turning and what a great job you've made of it too. I like the bright contrast between the two colours and being plain, not speckled, they look clean and fresh. What adhesive did you use for this? Was it CA and if so which type, - thin, medium or thick? Malcolm.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »

That's one very nice pen, just the band (block) out of place, well worked out for balance and the colors are brilliant together.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
Thank you for the comments guys ...  ;)

Malcolm,

Yes it is CA medium that i use, i also take off all the edges on the sander prior to turning, as in the past i have taken some segments off just as i started to use the roughing gouge ...  ::)