Author Topic: Brown Oak 02  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Brown Oak 02
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
So here are a couple of Brown Oak forms, take out of a quarter section of the log.

The tallest stands around 115mm (4½") high by 115mm (4½") wide, or it was as it's gone a regular oval while drying.

The other one stand 90mm (3½") high by 120mm (4¾") widest, gone oval again.

These are currently unfinished as they are drying, but again they show the patterning in the cambium layer.

In the 4th picture I've added a vase made from another log, but from the same tree. This time I took out a lengthwise section and turned it. The cambium layer this time is upright and because of the different stresses while drying has become sort of triangular.

Comments & Critiques as always please, and for all you lurkers out there - thanks for peeking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

Re: Brown Oak 02
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »
again a nice contrast showing the beauty of the wood through its layers.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »

Bryan,  2 out of the 3 pieces for the form, I've come back to them, have I jumped the gun and you've yet to refine the foot once they've all dried and are finished, as at the moment it looks too big and has no flow with the form, a foot will give the piece a lift, should have had plans to remove it.

Beautiful patterning and the bark intact, the moss is still green.

I thought to see green maple ...   ;D ...

Cheers    David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
David,

Sorry I did not have time to rely earlier. Thank you for your comments.

Reference the Form, I’ve been training myself (as I put it) to ‘See the Curve’. I think I’ve got close to (sometimes) mastering it.

However (and don’t I hate however’s!) I once posted a question about shaping the foot, but not much advice was forthcoming, it’s still something I’m not even close to being happy with. So I guess it’s a question of trial and practice (or avoid the need for a foot!).

But yes, I have left enough at the base to reverse mount and do something even if it’s just slim down and then undercut the concave form and refine the existing foot on the convex form. Even if they have moved a little more than expected.

I turned (and sold) a similar pot to the convex form before Christmas. But I’d wiped it with Black Nightmare (Rust & Vinegar), wire brushed and then Lime waxed it – very dramatic.

In doing that I discovered that the Heart Wood goes black and the Cambium layer is barely affected (well a very light dirty grey). So for the concave form I may well just wipe the heart wood to darken it and then allow the whiteness of the liming wax to make the cambium layer even whiter. I’ll have to be careful of the bark with the wire brush though. Still it’s all experimentation and learning curves.

I have not decided about the free Maple yet. Certainly a couple of my large coloured vases from the whole bole, but otherwise no idea.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
Bryan I do like these, the simplicity of the shape and the beauty of the grain, yes it works for me. As regards feet, sometimes all you need is a small quirck(?) rebate, just to create a shadow.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

Hi Bryan,

I'm the one now that's not replied earlier, the hour timed out and I was coming back the next time on, then seeing John had commented, I'd not as yet.

You've Mastered the curve on this one, it's just to refine the foot, you've the cove is it at the moment, square off a shoulder to be about an 1/8" long or what gives you the 3rd ratio for the foot and if you have the length trim to what lift that gives best look.

Coloured maple ...   :o ...   ;D ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
John, David,

thanks for your ideas about shaping the foot. They are quite oval now so remounting them will be fun, but do-able. Thankfully the narrowest part is the foot so I should get away with any difference in diameter around the base.

I'll have a look at it over the weekend, it's just too damn cold in the evenings, after work, especially without heating in the garage.