Author Topic: Finished Olive Wood Bowl...  (Read 4214 times)

arcos

Finished Olive Wood Bowl...
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
So, here is my finished bowl with crack 'repaired'.

I have given it one coat of olive oil about 15 minutes ago and I think its going to need another coat or two at least to give it a nice natural sheen.

As I am pretty new to this I wonder if you can give me some tips on actually photographing pieces?

Looking at the images there appear to be a few gouge marks... They aren't gouge marks they are where the wood is 'disappearing'!

So please, come on you guys, give me some constructive critisism, what I should have done differently, how I could have improved on this piece etc etc.

In my 'defence' I would normally turn MUCh 'lighter' but I think that the piece would have just broken up!

Thanks for looking!

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
Re: Finished Olive Wood Bowl...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Just been reading your post on the making of this bowl and I think you have done very well. Keep up the good work.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
I can see why you wanted to save it, gorgeous wood. When I have had to 'save' something like this I use a mixture of epoxy and brass powder to fix the split. Leave it for a couple of days to ensure that it is fully set and start turning slowly. If the crack hasn't sealed properly you can tell from the sound. It has to be something worth the risk though or I am like George and Andy and add to my firewood stash. This would have tempted me I think. Beautiful wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
Thank you Terry!

It has been an 'interesting' project and a STEEP learning curve...

Just another 1.5m of olive tree to turn... I recon there is at least 20 bowls this size in there PLUS I have a large base of this tree still to get out which has two large burls... I have NO idea quite what to do with them but it will be fun learning/trying!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
I can see why you wanted to save it, gorgeous wood. When I have had to 'save' something like this I use a mixture of epoxy and brass powder to fix the split. Leave it for a couple of days to ensure that it is fully set and start turning slowly. If the crack hasn't sealed properly you can tell from the sound. It has to be something worth the risk though or I am like George and Andy and add to my firewood stash. This would have tempted me I think. Beautiful wood.

Pete

Thanks Pete...

It is a beautiful piece of wood and I really didn't want to lose it.

Now that this has been completed I am desperate to see what the other pieces re going to look like. This was just a small part of once section of olive that I was planning to turn into a winged bowl. Because the spalting was so deep I lost a section whilst turning so ended up with a MUCH smaller, 'normal' shape.

I m about to go cut the other piece in two and start turning that into a 'normal' bowl and see what happens. Likely wont get it finished until tomorrow but will see what happens.

arcos

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
A question/opinion perhaps...

There are some imperfections in the wood that look like gouge marks, 'holes' or similar. They are actually the wood structure. If I continued turning the wood then they would only get bigger or perhaps if I turned through them disappear but then reveal other 'imperfections'.

Should these be something to be worried about in the finished item? Should I try and hide/disguise/fill them in some way?

Perhaps its ones own opinion of what a finished piece should look like?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »

Well reading through it all having followed the different threads with this piece, you've got a perfect form and for 1st coat, finish with it, the little imperfections add to the piece, you may or may not have removed them should you have turned it more, but as it had the crack, I'd say and this is my view, it is just fine left as you have done. For the small amount you've been turning your doing very well.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »

Well reading through it all having followed the different threads with this piece, you've got a perfect form and for 1st coat, finish with it, the little imperfections add to the piece, you may or may not have removed them should you have turned it more, but as it had the crack, I'd say and this is my view, it is just fine left as you have done. For the small amount you've been turning your doing very well.

Cheers    David

Hi David and thank you for your comments.

I find it hard to 'balance' the imperfections (if mother nature can have imperfections?) with 'perfection' in my eyes.

Including turning practice cut offs of pine (normally ending up in the fire) and a few other bits and pieces this is probably only about the 15th piece I have EVER turned, if that.

I keep looking at it and really not believing that I actually did turn this! Picking it up, feeling it... I am even delighted with the foot which I turned concave so that it would stand flat and true!

Yes, I am pretty pleased with myself!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
Spalted Olive Wood - hands up everyone that's jealous, who would not want to turn some of that.

Shame the wings did not work but maybe that was a bit advanced for your 15th turning - still it's practice and experience that has been gained, and a great recovery as well. It still looks like a great bowl.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
Hi arcos. You asked about photographing your wares. It is probably best to invest in a light cube studio for this. You can get one on ebay fpr less tham £20. Use a white background and the camera on a tripod. Use a light source such as a portable works light (available through Screwfix or Toolstation  quite cheaply) placed outside the cube and angled upwards. The light onto the part should be bright but diffused. Position the camera looking slightly down onto the item so that there are no reflections from the part. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

arcos

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
dr4g0nfly I think you are right about winged anything being a little bit too advanced for me at the moment... Was fun trying though... Slightly frustrating and a LOT of shavings at the end (more shavings than bowl I think!) Spalted Olive a desirable wood to turn? I think I am going to have quite a bit of it through the course of this year! I will save you some!  ;)

I have cut two pieces today for turning tomorrow and noticed an 'issue'...

Looking down the cut end of the tree (would it be called end grain?) there is an inch long 'split'. I cut a piece off for turning tomorrow maybe 6 - 7 inches long as a round and looked at the other end and there is this little crack look at the log that is remaining and there is the 'split' it seems to be running through the whole tree. I am wondering if it is the same crack that gave me a few issues last time.

I guess I will just have to mount it and take things easy and see what happens. I am hoping to turn it into a bigger version of the bowl you have seen already... I have ALL DAY tomorrow to turn this so fingers crossed!

I m taking the bowl to the cafe this evening. Hope they like it. I have decided on a price of about £12 and see what happens.

And thanks for the tip on photographing the finished pieces. Hopefully I can put that into practice tomorrow!

GRET FORUM!