Author Topic: The start of a Cherry bowl  (Read 2973 times)

woody

The start of a Cherry bowl
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
This is the last of my large logs that I was given about 8 years ago it start of 18" x 7" but it had quite a large crack right across it as you can seen so it ended up being 12" x 6" and some of the crack is still there and filled in I had to make it with a spigot instead of a dovetail just to make sure it didn't split right in half I will finish it in the morning

Made with my new Versa chuck it is a very good bit of equipment and I would recommend it

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: The start of a Cherry bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
Woody,

what's this, slowing down!

We normally expect you to turn out several items a day, not part finish one bowl!

Okay, let me guess, SWMBO dragged you around the shops as it's Saturday.

Already looking forward to the final piece tomorrow.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
I did make another 3 rustic clocks this morning LOL They are for a shop in Newark

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »

Nice WIP Woody, that was alot of wood to takeout, very wise to use a spigot and compress the crack, helps with glueup if you did so, nice piece of cherry.

Cheers      David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »

Nice WIP Woody, that was alot of wood to takeout, very wise to use a spigot and compress the crack, helps with glueup if you did so, nice piece of cherry.

Cheers      David

Hi Dave yes I did glue it up just to make sure now I'm of to get another tin of Roses LOL  ;D

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
looking good so far,a little tip for you Woody,when glueing up an unfinished piece,I smear a little wax either side of the crack to stop the glue discolouring the wood either side of the crack and the waxed piece can be turned away after so a finish of choice or sealer can be used,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world