Author Topic: Nova lathe problem - on behalf on Dave Blanden  (Read 6834 times)

Andy Coates

Nova lathe problem - on behalf on Dave Blanden
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »
My Nova DVR 3000 (2003 model) suddenly stopped working..then started again after a few minutes..then stopped after 5 minutes ..then started.  I checked all the leads etc but found no problems. It is clearly electric or electronic because when working there is no difference to performance, speeds, torque etc.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the outcome?

Dave Blanden

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Nova lathe problem - on behalf on Dave Blanden
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
This problem is familier (I think). I've read something about it recently, I'll have a dig and see what I can find.

Will post later when (if) I find the information again.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
sounds like a pcb problem mate and n0ot a cheap fix

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
Dave
Sounds very familiar to my friends Nova, I took it to Record for him 12 months ago on way to Harrogate. It was the PCB which apparently is a fairly common problem.
After replacement he was recommended to keep a heat source (100 watt heater, Lamp bulb or similar) under the headstock in winter.
He now wraps the headstock when not in use, on the basis of, an old towel is cheaper than a PCB.
Will give you a call Dave.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
I found the article I'd read but on reviewing it there was no real useful thought in it. Blow (air blast) dust out of the switches or ring the manufacturers Agents and ask to speak to one of their technical staff.

Starting and Stopping does not sound like a component fault, it's an intermittant fault, either caused by dust/shavings where you don't want it or more likely something warming up and flexing slightly with heat, breaking the electrical contact, removing the power, cooling down, making contact, working for a while as it heats up, bending ...

...you get the picture.

If the PEC can be removed I'd suggest looking at all the solder joints especially around any transformers or coils. These things buzz/vibrate in use and can cause such effects, I've fixed many a TV just by resoldering the bad joint at one of these.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

DBlanden

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for the tips/ideas/suggestions. I will borrow a blower and start a thorough clean.
My mobile no is 07841 370 636

Norman Halcrow

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
Did you get the problem fixed, if so what was the cure?

DBlanden

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
Problem not fixed.Still awaiting response from Record and Teknatool. Lee at Record has been helpful, but we had had comms problems on their web site. Hopefully the New Year will bring some responses.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
My Nova DVR 3000 (2003 model) suddenly stopped working..then started again after a few minutes..then stopped after 5 minutes ..then started.  I checked all the leads etc but found no problems. It is clearly electric or electronic because when working there is no difference to performance, speeds, torque etc.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the outcome?

Dave Blanden
Hi Dave,
Only just came across your posting but as a DVR user myself I am interested to hear of your problem. One thought I had, when it stops working, does the display disappear or does it stay there? I am thinking if the display disappears, it is more likely a complete power loss, so would point to loose power connections but if the display stays, then it is going to be the electronics  :(.
I had a problem with my lather earlier this year when the filters on the power supply shorted to the chassis. They use a thin piece of plastic to insulate the board and it had chafed through. I am wondering if your symptoms might be a precursor to the same problem. Fortunately, after a chat with Lee, they were able to supply a replacement filter board.
Hope you get it sorted soon,
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »
Hi Dave

I'm a retired Electrical Engineer and there are 2 simple things you can try.
1. With the lathe running try bending the mains lead near the plug through 180 degrees in all directions and the same where it enters the lathe. If it stops disconnect at the end where it happens and get a pair of pliers and pull on each core. If a wire is broken it will stretch and you will have found the problem. It is a common fault on irons and vacuum cleaners etc. If there is a broken wire it is generally about 2 inches from the end of the wire.

2. The other check is when it stops try switching off at the plug and then switch back on after 5 seconds or so. This can reset the electronics especially if it is an inverter. If it starts up immediately after switching on the fault is on the electronics.

Good luck

Terry
Regards

Terry