Author Topic: Microclene Model MC420  (Read 14633 times)

woody

Microclene Model MC420
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Has anyone ever used the Microclene Model MC420 I have dust control set up in my workshop but I have just been diagnosed with emphysema so I think I need to take some extra precautions

woody

Re: Microclene Model MC420
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Sorry to here that,bad news indeed.
I think the best thing is an air fed helmet and dont take it off until the dust settles .And wear it when you are cleaning up.

Regards George
[/quote
Hi George thanks for your answer mate but I have tried them but I also have arthritis in my spine and I found that the trend and the power cap  hurt my neck to such an extent that I cant do anything anyway bit of a devil and the deep blue sea

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
Hi Woody, Sorry to hear of your problem. I have the MC 400 hanging above the Lathe Headstock end then I have the MC100 bench mounted at the other end it works for me. Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
Hi Woody, Sorry to hear of your problem. I have the MC 400 hanging above the Lathe Headstock end then I have the MC100 bench mounted at the other end it works for me. Regards John
Thank you John I have the big Jet filter hanging from the ceiling in the middle of my workshop and I was looking for something to put local to the lathe one question for you someone told me they are very noisy is that true because I was under the impression they were quiet I did look at the ms 400 and thought it may be a bit small my workshop is 20ft x 10ft

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
I have the square version fitted to the wall at the back of the lathe and it works OK. i also have a vacuum system that vents dust outside that mounts by the lathe and a large ceiling mounted dust system.

George is right there is nothing like a mask however the other thing to watch is that you are extracting away from you not across your face.

i also use, when l can, a Festool RO90 sander fitted to a vacuum this is expensive but excellent at sanding and dust removal.

petjeffery

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:56:13 PM »
Hi there woody i have to just been diagnosed with the same so trying to do the same as you to help prevent any thing else i have also just got a 3m mask with p3 rated. Filters to that seems to help a bit but find it a bit hard to breath grow at times any way best of luck with it all

woody

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
Hi there woody i have to just been diagnosed with the same so trying to do the same as you to help prevent any thing else i have also just got a 3m mask with p3 rated. Filters to that seems to help a bit but find it a bit hard to breath grow at times any way best of luck with it all

Yes I to use the 3m mask as well I just want that bit extra in a hope it will help

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
Hi Woody, I have not found mine to be noisy and my workshop is only10ftX8ft so you may need something larger. Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
Hi Woody, I have not found mine to be noisy and my workshop is only10ftX8ft so you may need something larger. Regards John
Thanks for that John yes it seems as though I may need the 760 I think

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

Hi Woody,  so sorry to hear as to you having been diagnosed with emphysema. Now to see if we can keep you turning out that wonderful work.

The specs looks good for the  MC420 it is ideal for a workplace up to 40 cubic metres in size (single car garage) a little smaller than your 20' x 10' then you just want to use it local to the lathe, it is compact 250mm high, 204mm diameter and very ecomical to run (100watt motor), yet it will filter that 40 cubic metre space 10 times each hour, as that what does your space work out as.

This new version MC420 has replaced the MC400 and differs in it draws air from around the side and from the bottom of the machine and has two filters, one that wraps around the side (as 400) and one now in the bottom.  I have the 400 and it will keep the dust down as recommended making it ideal for over a lathe, as for noisy no more than any motor or fan, I'd say about the same as the 1st stage of a cooker hood, but not noticed over other machines.

My shop is now 12' x 10' so it's more of a draft from it, which the wife when on a lesson dislikes.

It would work well with the Jet you have already.  Next what else do use chip or dust vac, I've the Yorkclean WV100, what I'd like to do and this is always recommended is duct the dust away outside, have you such a ducting system, it would be ideal, as I find in using the vac off any machine port you never catch all the dust, bandsaw and sander in partially, it really need extra pickups at the table or under it to catch everything, should you be able to get the dust outside and use the ambient filters during working and can run them still after you finish and not just when you stop a machine the only contact with dust would be to empty/service the vac and short term for that you could then use your trend or the power cap without hurting your neck to much, this all sounds fine to say and I hope it has been of help, the last thing we want is not seeing you turning.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »
Thank you for all that David it is very helpful my workshop works out to 45 cubic metres I had to sell my other dust chip extractor as it was to big for my new workshop my old one was a large double garage till we moved down sized and I only had room for a 20ft x 10ft log cabin which hasn't got the same headroom I got one of those record dustbin type but that is only fit for the dustbin it is absolutely useless with dust coming out from the seal and it sounds like a jumbo jet taking of so I;m still on the look out for one as for sending the dust outside which would be ideal I just haven't got the room my workshop runs the full length of the garden and what bit is left I have my log shelter

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »

Woody, I know what it is for space, mine has been a down size and to a wooden shop too, I'm finding a lot of the noise I'm now getting is resonating from the building, all be the base I laid down is solid and it's a heavy weight duty workshop 22m t&g but they used a litter frame.

A nice new Vac. would be far better at filtration and containing the very fine and dangerous dust and to get it out of the shop would be best if it can be done.

Cheers David

woody

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
I to laid a good thick concrete base and the workshop is built from 25mm log lap with a 3" x 2" frame it is a good solid building I'm well happy with it but I had to sell a lot of my big machinery both woodwork and metalwork but hey that's life as you get older LOL no to be honest I didn't want to do any of that any more just concentrate on my turning and I've started wooden model making so I'm a beginner at 70 LOL

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

Ah I know mine is in the frame they built it as something whatever 2" x 1.5" comes out as, I'll not be able to use thick insulation to that regard.

The base was 6 jumbo bags of MOT 1, 6" to 8" deep, sand and slabs to finish.

Tool wise I've held on the them, most of everything else had to go.

Now is to sort you out regarding the dust.

Cheers     David

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
  I think Georges advice re the helmet is perfect but I would also have an extra room air filter on a timer, in my wiorkshop I wear the helmet and the air filter system is on a timer plug to clear the air for an hout before I go in and an hour after the working day. Not cheap but what rice on your health.

I wish you well Martin
Martin Lawrence