Author Topic: AWGB Seminar 2013  (Read 7759 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
AWGB Seminar 2013
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
When do we get to find out who are the Demonstrators on the 2013 Seminar? I am saving my pennies. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
Re: AWGB Seminar 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »
In the December issue of Revolutions. Be patient you will not be disappointed.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
im going to have to come this time

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Hi Lionel,Thank you for that I am so looking forward to it, Ian it is a must I have been to Three now they are Brilliant.

Regards John
John Smith

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

I wish I could afford to attend!

Peter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »

I wish I could afford to attend!

Peter.

Me too. When I am rich and famous maybe LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
The seminar is not for the "famous"...it's for all turners.

If you look at the cost, and you put a few quid a week away you wouldn't miss it, but you would be able to attend the best woodturning event in the world every two years!

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:11:33 AM »
I must first say I attended last year and enjoyed every minuet and would have done more if those I attended with had been willing to do more. It was worth every penny. the only fault I felt and this may not go down well but it is my honest opinion is that the well known professionals got more prominent positioning of there pieces in the gallery  with a slight air of elitism.  the price of admission when including everything and to get the most from the experience I think you need to do the whole experience and stay on campus and eat in and attend the banquet you need to do everything to get the most and be involved with as much as you can, the sum of £400 is to me unobtainable I cannot justify spending that and then be honest at least another £200 spending money Then Travelling cost for us that don't live so close before you know it you have spent £700-£800 on what for most of us is our hobby not our profession it is not tax deductible to us we still have to fund our hobby too buying tools and timber supplies and so on I have had most hobbies shooting golf fishing cycling every time I thought I had found a cheaper hobby I thought the same with this one two but guess what I was wrong woodturning is not cheep when it is our hobby and we don't do it to sell our pieces but for the love of it and for me personally I cannot justify Putting aside £800 even if I did it £33 a month over Two years. Sorry if this has offended anyone as it is not meant to but more than once I have seen a post of a member thinking the seminar is out of there reach financially and the reply has been a little condescending to the financial embarrassed of us.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
The seminar is not for the "famous"...it's for all turners.

If you look at the cost, and you put a few quid a week away you wouldn't miss it, but you would be able to attend the best woodturning event in the world every two years!

I know ANDY, just kidding. I isn't expensive for what it is but as I am right ion the beginning of getting my 'business' up and running money is at a premium so it is more than I could afford. Daft as it sounds when I was just a hobby turner I could have probably done it. Sod's law

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
I'm sorry it came across that way, Dave. If you want to be financially embarrassed take it up professionally! You'll quickly find out about financial embarrassment. Earning a living from what was once a loved hobby very quickly takes the enjoyment away when you have to worry about making rent, business rates, insurance, vehicle upkeep, stock purchases of timber Etc., utilities and consumables, and all the other sundry things that come with doing it as a business. So please don't imagine that all "professional" turners are rolling in it to the extent that the seminar fee is an acceptable loss. I suspect for most it isn't.

My point was that in comparison to most (if not all) hobby seminars (and a few years ago David Buskell did the research to support this) are substantially more costly.

The EC have always negotiated very hard to keep costs down; we have to because it is self financing and we do not use member subscriptions to fund it...that would be clearly unfair on those members that cannot ever attend for whatever reasons.

The costs you quote are actually almost 50% personal choice. You don't have to take another £200 to spend. The all-in fee covers all meals and coffee/tea Etc., and so if you don't want to spend the evenings in the bar, and not all delegates do, then the cost is the cost. Of course there are fuel or rail costs, but these can be shared or rail tickets booked online early with a large discount. We do have it at Loughborough because it is as geographically central as we can find a venue with suitable facilities and logistics to provide for our needs.

The only part I take actual umbrage with is this persistent claim of elitism. If it is there it is there only in the eyes of the person who perceives it.

The Instant Gallery is set up as a display of work from delegates, and I cannot see any reason not to display the work of noted professional, or simply successful (as there are as many non-professional successful turners as the alternative) in prominent positions. Any gallery would do the same. People don't go the RA summer show to see Mr's Jones' from Barking watercolour of a field scene, they go for the big names and the rest is a bonus. And in truth, the feedback we receive indicates that most people who go to look are looking for the work of the well known turners because that's where they predominantly draw inspiration from. In fact quite often you can see the influence of past IG's in the work submitted by hobbyist delegates. And that's always nice to see....you know that it's making a mark.

The seminar is put on as a member benefit. The aim, always, is to inspire, inform and hopefully entertain. And in so doing it promotes woodturning, encourages progression and the development of ideas and techniques, and helps to ensure the continuation of our craft. And it doesn't matter if you're Joe Bloggs from a shed in Sheffield or Nick Agar from a studio in Devon - you can still be inspired, informed and entertained. And at £384 for the full all-inclusive standard accommodation package I think that's damned good value.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
I must agree with a lot of the comments that Andy has posted on this thread. I think you can only comment about value for money when you have experienced the function what ever it may be.I have been to three Seminars so far and every one was fantastic and value for money.
I have met some woodturners from around the country who have become great friends some thing you cannot put a price on I have seen Great Woodturners from around the World and every one of them were prepared to give you their time there seems to be no elitism in wood turning everyone at the seminar are most helpful. I manage to pay for the Seminar by saving a few pounds each week and I some times sell a couple of my turned items
and that money goes into the pot also I find some of the tools I have that I thought were a must have I sell every little helps.
I hope to go to the Seminar for a fourth time next year the only thing that will stop me is a health problem I have at the moment.If you can find a way of going you will not regret it. Regards John

John Smith

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »
I new my comments or some of them would be taken wrongly.
Did nobody read or forget the parts where I said I went to the last seminar and said that it was worth every penny  and enjoyed every minuet!

I have only ever once mentioned that there appeared to be an air of elitism when it came to the display of professionally turned pieces , as in we were told not to bring stands and such, and to leave our pieces at check-in yet some pro's took there own and arranged there own pieces.
 If there is persistent claim of elitism then maybe it is a fact and something might need addressing, as I say I have only ever mentioned it ONCE.

I know and have had plenty experience when it comes to business and agree that to make it in woodturning is never going to be easy and the only way that most are able to make a living at it have to be committed 24/7 and tour the country demonstrating, getting sponsorship so they don't have to buy tools all the time and the most important thing get yourself a bloody good accountant to offset the cost of tools, and seminars as staff training. some of us do know about business, profit and loss, and financial embarrassment and those finding themselves in it need a voice and it should be herd and not dismissed so easily.

I am not able to attend this year due to disability and expected surgery, but for those who are able to go but cant afford to is there not still the chance of funding from the AWGB in the form of a scholarship as they have done for past seminars?

I  have nothing but respect for 99% of professional turners and know a few personally, know only too well how hard it is to make it the success they deserve. When it comes to over seas turners the seminar may well be the only chance we get to see them and our friends from around the country.

my advice to anyone thinking of attending would be to go the full hog and do everything eat in and stay on campus attend the banquet do it all, but I also respect anyone who said they couldn't afford all or parts of it for they will surely miss an event and experience of a lifetime, if I never get to go again at least I can say I went once Loughborough 2011.