Author Topic: NEWCOMER TO THE FORUM  (Read 5260 times)

admalin

NEWCOMER TO THE FORUM
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Having only recently registered on the forum, I've been interested in the available topics, and in return I would like to make a contribution.

It occurred to me to ask how many are aware of the american Woodturning on Line Newsletter. It's published monthly and covers a comprehensive range of subjects. AND IT'S FREE so should appeal to those turners who, like the average farmer, never have any money.

Through that, I've been in contact with one Dennis Daudelin who lives in Cape Cod. He spent some time in Bedfordshire when his father was posted to an american airbase there. You can se him in action on his website.

He is the webmaster for a group called Segmented Turners. Looking at this you will find a widely varied array of items, which may provide the inspiration for others.  He also provides the 'tools' to create a website aimed at people with an artistic bent, which he likes to think takes in creative woodturning.

Regards to all
Tony Malin

Andy Coates

Re: NEWCOMER TO THE FORUM
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
Hello Tony, and welcme to the forum.

I do know about the newsletter and receive it myself, but others will be pleased to know about it.

For those who don't know, here's the link to woodturning online...the newsletter sign up is down the lefthand pane...

http://www.woodturningonline.com/index.php

many thanks

Andy

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »
Hi Tony
Welcome.
Thank you for your mention of the newsletter. Although I have been on their forum for yonks I had overlooked the newsletter. Needless to say I have now subscribed.
I'dm on the Norfolk coast. I'd be interested to know where abouts you are.
All the best
Brian

admalin

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Hi Brian
I'm in Rugby. Famous for it's School and William Webb Ellis, but not much else. The 800ft GPO radio masts, which acted as a magnificent landmark, were dismantled recently.  I like to point out that from here you can get anywhere in the country with equal difficulty. Weston Super Mare and Skegness are equidistant. We are in the NE corner of Warwickshire close to the point where it meets Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.
I've been turning on and off for over 20 years having been persuaded by a colleague to take up turning a year before I retired.  I got a Thyme Avon and only wish it were variable speed. However it's not too difficult to change the belt.
I'm Treasurer of the West Northants Club which meets in the Village Hall at Weedon Bec, 13.4 miles door to door. Our membership is around 80, having fallen back from its peak of 108 a few years ago.
My last trip to the Norfolk Coast was to Frinton-on-Sea, where we had the audacity to walk on the greensward. I was in Clacton in 35 and again in 47. So where are you and what does the H stand for?

Regards Tony Malin

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
Hello Tony
I'm sorry, old chap, but I'm afraid you have got yourself a black mark for geography because both Frinton and Clacton are in Essex! And we're not even next door neighbours because Suffolk is in between! I live just north of Great Yarmouth sandwiched between the watery heaven of the Broads and the North Sea.
The 'H' stands for Hollett, by the way.
I used to have a Tyme cub a zillion years ago but have managed to move a little bigger to a Powermatic. Unfortunately it is currently in the hands of Axminster for an inverter transplant ( you don't haveproblems like that with belts). I'm temporerily back to my old standby M950, which is about the same size as your own machine.
All the best and keep practising
Brian

carl.warburton

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
Hi
As a newcomer to the forum thanks for the tip and I to have registered. All information is valuable to me at this early stage

Regards Carl