Author Topic: hollowing tool help  (Read 8961 times)

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
hollowing tool help
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
Hello all,
I'm after some tool advice. I want to get into hollowing, and I think I've narrowed my choice of first hollowing tool down to either the Sorby multi tip scraper or the Crown tools cryo one, which looks pretty similar.

Does anyone have any opinions on these tools, or perhaps offer up alternatives.
I would obviously like the Sovereign system or the Rolly Munro system, but I'm on a budget.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: hollowing tool help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
Dan,

You've opened a hornets nest with this question.  Everyone will have their own answer but first of all I'd like to say that there is not a 'one tool does all' solution.

Most people who do hollowforms have a variety of different tools that they use depending upon the task and need.

Yes the shielded ring tools are fantastic but work best on end grain and preferably not fully seasoned. I do have one the mini Rolly, I also have the Woodcut Proform system which is my workhorse for heavy deeper cuts. For sharp angles and small holes I have the McNaughton (with the hardest curve.)  Also various scrapers etc some of which I've made myself (or had made for me.)

Truthfully I'd suggest you read David Ellsworth's book 'Ellsworth on Woodturning' for ideas on 'how to' and making your own basic hollowing tools, or have bigger ones made at a quite reasonable cost at a local engineering works.

Also don't try to jump in and make a big form in the first instance, start small and grow slowly as you learn.

A word to the wise, you will start by making more TARDIS' than hollow forms that is an Inside bigger than the outside!

Don't be put off, and post your work as you learn.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I will definitely be checking out the book, and the other makes of tools.
I thought the two tools that I mentioned would be the ideal size and price to try out some small forms and get the hang of it and to see if I like it.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
Hi Dan,

I use a Hamlet little brother cutting tip & shield for hollowing, being on a budget I didn`t buy the whole system just the cutting tip & shield.

I mounted this on a straight bar & turned a long handle for the bar to sit in, but soon found I needed to articulate the tip so made a link from an old bolt

It`s not pretty but works a treat & easy to make with a few basic tools

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
Realised an error in my last post, The McNaughton I mentioned, I meant Kelton.

Look down the page here, http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Kelton/kelton.html.

The small ones are not terrably expensive and a great introduction to small hollow form turning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
The Hamlet cutter mentioned will also fit the old Robert sorby hollowing tools and it works well on them

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
i have the rollys  and the crown the crown is a great tool but has a longer learning curve the rollys are simple to use

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
I have numerous hollowing tools many of which I have made myself. I guess it depends what your hollowing ie if your doing bowls its a fair bet you can get most if not all done by gouge.
If your going to have a sizeable lip to turn under then your off in a different direction, any of the articulated shield variety will do this. But you could opt here for a simple Oland type tool which is great for those who a budget to deal with. The down side is on the under side [ inside] of the bowl or vessel you will get some tear out with this tool, so its a scraper or sanding or perhaps both.

The Oland tool is just simple shaft of any diameter you chose and into the end you drill a hole to hold a piece of HSS steel, secure in place with a locking screw of some description.

See these links for a better idea, now you can drill the hole at any angle you require ie down the shaft or offset to to allow getting under the lip etc. If your going in for small opening hollow vessels then the Oland tool is ideal as you may have need of different configurations and bends etc to  get all around inside the vessel.

If can give me a clearer idea of what you are looking to do then I can post some images relative to that end. I have perhaps 15-20 different hollowing tools, mostly home made. But all designed for particular tasks mainly for small entry vessels, although I did start out doing bowls and slowly the openings got smaller and smaller.

http://www.planethart.com/tools/?PN=75
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/making-your-own-pseudo-oland-tool-79308/
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
This is all fantastic help guys, thanks alot.
I'm inspired already.