Author Topic: Killinger Lathe Advice  (Read 19538 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Killinger Lathe Advice
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
Hi All -- I was wondering if anybody has any experience of or with the Killinger Lathe sold by Phil Irons ? I am looking for a quality lathe at an affordable price and this one ticks all the boxes for quality, features and price. I am particularly looking at the Killinger KM1400. I can't find any bad reviews anywhere but would like some feedback before committing.
Thanks for Reading
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Killinger Lathe Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I have not used one myself but I think 3 people on another I use have brought them and been very happy with the purchase.   Plus of course Phils usual excellent service.   If you want to try one Phil will let you go to him and have a go.

john

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
Hi Julian

You might find THIS review posted by a member of the Woodworkers Institute Woodturning Forum of some help?

Best regards

Tim

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi Tim, John  --  Many thanks for the input on this one. I have seen the report in the woodworkers institue and the more I see of these machines the more I get to like them. The German website of the manufacturer is very good and informative.
I have been in touch with Phil and will see what the outcome is over next few days.  --   Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
how did you get on Julian,did you buy one in the end,or go for something different,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
Hi Eric, Great to hear from you again. My Lathe work is comming on slowly. Started with a give away from Sam as you know,
went on to the Myford ML8 and now progressed to the Killinger. I will post a few Pics over christmas for you. I think it's
a superb piece of kit, you only buy once so buy the best. It does have one or two failings but so minor it's probably not
worth mentioning. All the best for Christmas and the New Year  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
Hi Julian
Glad you like the Killinger 1400. I've been looking at this one for a few months.
Just trying to get the better half to let me spend the 2 grand is the reason why I havn't got it yet.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
Hi Terry
   Thanks for the reply, I love it. It's the first VS Machine I have realy used at home,
we have a multitude of machines at the club but the big ones are far too dear for me.
My requirements were quite wide but it had to have a rotating head stock, be of high
quality. I wanted an indexer and the VS, the 2MT and M33 Headstock mount is becoming
pretty standard now so that made it compatible with a lot of the clubs equipment (useful).
I coulden't justify the Model 1500 which had the sliding headstock so went for the 1400
that was at the top of my budget (plus a bit) and have to say that I am glad I did. The
Headstock is not easily removable so getting it from the front of the house down to the
shed on my own in the rain was no mean task, I had to arrange for delivery when the
better half was out. It arrived at 8:00am in the morning bolted down to a pallet so I
was able to tie some straps to it and use the pallet as a sled and pull it down the steps
along the lawn and into the shed. Got it onto the bench and there it will stay.

Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Looks good but can I make a suggestion put some wire up over the windows at some time a piece will come off the lathe and flying glass as well as flying wood is not a good combination.

john

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
Hi Julian

It looks a beautiful piece of kit. With it being German built I bet it has close tolerance bearings to make it virtually vibration free.
Does the motor look if it has a cast iron shell or diecast aluminium.  It may say on the nameplate. I was just wondering because if it was cast iron it  again would absorb any vibration.
I have a Record CL3 whick is my first lathe. I built the stand myself using 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle iron and 250mm x 6mm plate welded and bolted together. I didn't have it long before I decided to buy a 3 phase motor and an inverter and built the box of tricks to give me variable speed as I was fed up with belt changing. Now I would liketo upgrade and the 1400 looks superb but I don't suppose I'll get one off Santa!

I hope you have many happy turning hours with it.

Regards Terry

Ps I agree with John regarding the windows!!!
Regards

Terry

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »
Hi Terry/ John
  I take your point on the window protection I must admit
I hadn't thought of that, I guess it must have happened
To someone at some time or other. The motor case Terry
Is alloy as it's not magnetic but it is silky smooth and very
Quiet.
                   Thanks for you comments
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
Hi Julian
Thanks for the info I was just curious.Hopefully I'll have one in the not to distant future.
Hope you have a Happy Turning Christmas

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
glad you like your new lathe Julian,is it bolted down to the bench yet,might be a good idea to do that if you haven`t,,just in case it start dancing with a heavier piece,you don`t want that on your toes.

Terry,the upgrade you have on your record gives you the same power as the Killinger,
happy new year,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
Thanks fort he reply Eric, the photo was taken as soon as I got it so no it wasn't
bolted down at the time nor was the rest of the bench top in place. However
time has passed and it is now securley fixed to the bench and a few projects
have come off it so yes very pleased with it and I am sure it will serve very well
indeed for the forseeable future.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
Hi Eric
I appreciate that I have the same power as the Killinger but the build quality won't be the same.Also I would prefer a flat bed lathe as opposed to round bars.
Best wishes for the New Year

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry