Author Topic: Axminster AVSWL 1200D  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Axminster AVSWL 1200D
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
For those that remember, I’d been without a lathe since the New Year when my poor old Avon Tyme gave up the ghost. Looking to see what was on the market I saw and decided to buy the Axminster AVSWL 1200. Unfortunately by the time I rang to place my order, they’d sold out. I don’t know why but they were having a few changes made to the lathe for the next batch (better motor and different switchgear I was told), so I had place my order (7th on the waiting list already) to wait (and wait…), and it finally arrived the middle of May.

So, I’ve been the proud owner of an Axminster AVSWL 1200D for a month now, it’s time I posted a review.

Lets start with the basics
It’s big, very big, I’m a touch under 6’ and at it’s lowest (and there is not much height adjustment on the feet) it’s close to the upper limit for me to work on it comfortably. Length is the same with 1200mm (47”) between centres and a nice 18” swing over the bed. It also weighs in at around 180kg (approx 400 lbs) of cast iron, so a big lump. The headstock thread is M33 3.5mm and with 2MT throughout. The motor is an inverter controlled, 3 phase induction unit as opposed to the previous model which (I believe) had a DC brushless motor.

Arrival & Unpacking
It arrives in a big box as you’d expect, so after unpacking there is quite a bit of gash to get rid of. It is well bolted into the base of the box so a couple of spanners are needed to free it. One thing I noted was that the packing across the bedbars was secured through to the same shaped pieces as the banjo & tailstock are secured with, so I’m okay for making a couple of jigs (steady rest etc) in the future. 2 persons are definitely needed for assembly as a minimum, but 3 would be better. Holding the bedbars in place while trying to align the legs to it is heavy work.

Headstock Movement
The headstock does not rotate but does slide the full length of the bed. So by removing the tailstock you can bring the work to the end of the lathe and work from there, a far better position to work from physically. So if you are thinking about buying one of these, make sure you leave enough room in your shop to work off the end. There is also an outboard turning attachment (I have not bought yet) which bolts to the end and increases the turning diameter to 75cm (2½’). I may have to build a small platform for my use in this position, just to give me a lower arm position while working inside forms or more arm movement/swing with bowls and platters.

First Turnings
It’s the first lathe I’ve owned with variable speed, something I’ve been wanting since I first met it on a course with Reg Sherwin when he was at Avoncroft Museum. It spins up to 3200 rpm quite happily, not that I’ve turned any spindles small enough to need that speed yet but I am sure I will nearer Christmas when I start making Icicle decorations etc. As with all variable speed lathes it’s good to be able to adjust the rotation of an out of balance bit of wood to find the spot where the vibration stops.

I’ve not yet been able to push it too hard yet but with a 1500W (2 hp) motor I doubt I’ll get to it’s limits anytime soon. I have turned a few things, a platter, a couple of bowls and vases, loads of little items for our Club’s appearance at Westonbirt at the end of August and I’ve blown a couple of bits as well, trying too hard! I’m also having a go at green turning (if you’ve seen my post on drying maple!)

The only real problem I’ve had so far!
•   I’ve already managed to break a couple of bits. One of the locking (Bristol) levers internal casting was not too good and eventually refused to grip while being tightened and I broke the toolrest. However, a quick phone call to Axminster and replacements were in the post and with me in under 48 hours.

Niggles
•   The ‘Knockout Bar’ supplied is a bit light, I will have to find something heavier. My old Avon one is too short unfortunately. Maybe this is a strange thing to mention but knocking out my drive centres takes more effort than I’m used to and as it’s now more of a stretch between holding the knockout bar and the centre … I’ve missed catching it a couple of times and watched as it’s bounced off the bars and landed on the floor.
•   You only get One toolrest and it’s too long. Okay, it’s a trade rated spindle turning lathe (I say that because of the length) but if you’re working on something small (under 25cm (10”)) and bring up the tailstock as support, you can’t get the toolrest in close enough as it’s something like 35cm (14”) long.
•   The Banjo upstand is too high for the toolrest, you can't lower the rest far enough to get a shear scrape. I might get it cut down and re-tapped for the locking levers if new toolrests don't fix this problem.
•   The toolrest top is too wide and too flat an angle. I've found my gouges resting on the rear of the toolrest more than once. Again I'll have new rests made that are a maximum 4 or 5 mm wide.
•   There is no built in Spindle Lock. There is a loose pin (don’t loose it) that locates into the headstock casting which also acts as the 24 position indexing system. It is reversible, being threaded at the other end and there are 3 other holes also threaded also around the headstock all aligned with the 24 positions. If they were slightly offset it could have become a 48 or even 72 hole indexing system.
•   The Forward/Reverse switch is too easily turned wrong way. There is no mechanism to stop you turning the lathe into reverse by mistake (yes I’ve done it already) instead of selecting forward when you turn it on. Either that or there should be a separate On/Off switch. Before anyone queries the operation. I have a lift up cover with Power and Stop (the e-stop mechanism), the Fwd/Rev switch and a rotary speed controller. The speed controller does not remove power – and the Fwd/Rev switch is nearest the working area hence it gets used while I’m turning.
•   For me the Emergency Stop switch in wrong position. I keep catching it with my hip while reaching over my work to support it while cutting it off.
•   Like many of you I’m sure I like to listen to music/the radio while I’m in the workshop. Unfortunately the motor control upsets AM radio reception, I’ve no idea why, any suggestions on how to cure this gratefully received. But as my preferred channels are Classic Gold & Absolute Radio it means I’m now playing a lot more CD’s.

Changes I’d make
•   The tool rest is all Cast Iron! –  even the post is machined from the casting and not a separate piece. As I said I’ve already broke one – I was working too close to one end on a small turning, a small dig in and ‘ping’.  I will be getting a Steel one made – several in fact – including smaller ones.
•   Build and move the control panel into a separate box away from the headstock as is the way on some other lathes. I may well do this when the warranty runs out, then I can add a separate on/off switch and add a kick operated e-stop.

Final Thoughts
•   As I’ve noted this is a spindle lathe, but not everybody wants to turn stair banisters or items of similar length, in fact very few people turn things that long as it is. If there was a short bed option, say 75cm (2½’) to 90cm (3’) with the outboard attachment fitted it would make a stunning general purpose lathe. Do this and I think it would be able to hold it’s own against the Vicmark 300.
•   Don’t get hung up on problem and niggle area above, they are only niggles. If you’re in the market for a powerful lathe I would point you at this one. After 1 month usage I think I made the right choice, only time will show all the good and bad points and how well it will stand up to being used. My Avon was over 40 years old when it died, I know of older Graduates still going, so fingers crossed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

Re: Axminster AVSWL 1200D
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:10 AM »
Good review. Not much time for a full response but as for radio problem...

Maplin used to sell an RFI coil filter you can put around the mains cable.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
I had the same problem with a poolewood lathe. The answer is a dab radio.

Fred

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Thanks for your review. I bought this lathe with the outboard attachment last November (2011). I decided to change as I thought I had grown out of my first lathe and wanted particularly a variable speed lathe. I went for this one after using one on a course at an Axminster Skill Centre course.  I find it excellent and very robust. I have turned mainly bowls and many segmented pieces on it, no spindles yet and no ouyboard turning either yet. My only criticism is the tool rest length. I like a long tool rest, but it would have been nice if it had come with a shorter one as well. Other than that I find it brilliant and don't know how on earth I managed without that variable speed control.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
Thanks for the review, it sounds like it fits your requirements.
Now that you have paid for your lathe the man at Axminster will get paid,he will do his shopping in the supermarket and the shop assistant will get paid,she will put her money in the bank who will then be in a position to lend more so that the holiday maker can afford to have his two weeks off and maybe,just maybe spend some in a gift shop. At long last I finally have a chance of selling something this year!! :'(
Thanks dr4onfly you may just have started the nation's economy working again. :)
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »
The answer is a dab radio.

I have a dab radio (not in the workshop though), unfortunately it does not have a CD player and I don't want two systems in the workshop (space) so I'll have to survive as I am for a while.

Andy - I might have to look into the RFI coil filter as a possible solution - thanks for the tip.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!