Author Topic: An experiment  (Read 3822 times)

woody

An experiment
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
I have seen on a few forums the question about the carbaloy tips so I got some last week to give them a try first I made a 12mm thick version for small items seeing as it last come up on a pen forum and it worked a treat on pens and a small vase so it got me thinking deep hollowing so I made these 19mm versions to try tool and handle the handle is just a mock up to try out before I buy the materials to make one I will give them a try tomorrow on a deep vase and compare it against the Rolly Munro, Heny taylor big bother and the Robert Sorby 2000 system not the new R/S deep hollowing tool as I haven't tried that one  but I'm pretty sure it wont top the Rolly Munro should be interesting

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: An experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
I think you're onto an interesting experiment. I doubt that you'll beat the feel/use of the  tools you named (at least not first go).

I've always admired people who can do things with metal (especially at home), I was never any good with the stuff even at school.

Just a thought, your variable angle tool, you'll probably need a second joint so that you can keep the cutting top in line with the tool shaft and centre-line for the larger off-set angles, or it will either roll in use or just plain rip itself out of your hand.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »
Your possibly right there and thank you for mentioning it I  have an articulated tool I made years ago it has the robert Sorby tear drop tip on it  but thinking about it I did fit that one with a side handle so that may be what I need to do with this one we will see its all part of the fun of experimenting LOL I will let you know how I get on

woody

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
All went well today and the tool faired very well it took 30 min to get the inside out of this vase and in my opinion a worthy contender for some of the deep hollowing tools on the market and it only cost me £35 as to a few hundred the Rolly Munro won though in my opinion and it come equal to the Robet Sorby 2000 system not the new R/S I have never tried that one so I cant say but I found it worked better for me than the big brother but this is just my personal opinion some would disagree and that is fine we all have our favourite tools but I find it is good to experiment and explore other avenues just for the fun of it I still need to try it out on an undercut but that will have to wait for another day