Author Topic: I won't be buying that!  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
I won't be buying that!
« on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:22 PM »
I tend to keep an eye open for bargains on ebay, especially good quality tools and occasionally lathe accessories. However, today I saw something that I definitely won't be buying! A home made tool rest and banjo assembly (I use the terms loosely). The tool rest is a 25mm stem of fixed height (doh!) with an "S" shaped horizontal round bar, welded onto the stem at one end, and extending 200mm out sideways from it (double doh!!). To add insult to injury (which would be inevitable for the purchaser) the so-called banjo is just a magnet holding the whole thing precariously balanced as it sits on top of the bed-bars (triple doh!!!) and then the stem just sits on top of it, being held in place magnetically (quadruple doh!!!)
Still, it's only £28 plus postage to buy-it-now.

To look on the bright side, every single one of us will save £28 plus P&P by not buying it.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline RichardS

• iron
Re: I won't be buying that!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »
Les I do not think he is contemplating using the magnet as the banjo he is using it as a prop, he has a number of tool rests on eBay not sure i would trust using some of them.

Richard

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »
Thanks Les, now I have to find time to go to the tool shop and find something to spend the £28 tool budget money you just saved me  ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »
Les I do not think he is contemplating using the magnet as the banjo he is using it as a prop, he has a number of tool rests on eBay not sure i would trust using some of them.

Richard
Hi Richard....I take your point on that, but even if that's the case, I wouldn't put that tool-rest in my banjo, it's a ridiculous configuration which would, at best, vibrate like mad, but which is more likely to fracture the weld.
Les

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Curiosity got the better of me and I went onto Ebay to find the offending tool-rest. While I also won't be buying it, and would like to see at least a web along the bottom, you have to ask is the weld if done properly actually at risk? the whole point of this tool-rest is it is close into the work taking light cuts with minimum hang over. a similar rest from Sorby is just on a thread, which while strong does nothing to remove vibration.

What puts me off apart from the fact I don't want it! is that the picture shows damage to the tool-rest bar. That lack of care makes me suspicious of the care taken in the weld.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »
...a similar rest from Sorby is just on a thread, which while strong does nothing to remove vibration....
...yes, but the Sorby pattern affixes to the post at its centre point, with minimal overhang from the post to the end of the tool-rest. This model has the full "S" bend welded on just one end and extends way too far out from the post....it's going to vibrate! I've no doubt that fine, delicate finishing cuts might work, but that's of little use when hollowing a deep bowl.
I had my own curved tool-rest and post welded up for me a few years ago; the tool-rest itself is 2" deep and double webbed onto the post, and even that can vibrate a little when heavy cuts are used for hollowing a deep bowl.
Les