Author Topic: Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 08:25:12 AM »
Fom a personal point of view I sometimes prefer the adverts to the other content, although there is always something to learn from looking at the articles, it can make interesting reading when there is rubbish on the TV. But the adverts are a resource not to be ignored, yes they can be annoying if they are advertising what you already have or will never buy but read between the lines and look past the main advert and sometimes you will find information that is worth remembering, where a supplier is or a stockist for that, just having the knowledge is worth the cost of the magazine on the odd occasion that you need it.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »

Well Wood Spinner,
                               I thought your "Rant" was rather on the selfish side remember there are members new to Woodturning who like to see what is available and the adverts are a good pointer for them to start looking on those advertisers Web sites
 also pick up dates of shows so when you started out where did you start getting your information from?  ???

Regards John

John Smith

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »

Well Wood Spinner,
                               I thought your "Rant" was rather on the selfish side remember there are members new to Woodturning who like to see what is available and the adverts are a good pointer for them to start looking on those advertisers Web sites
 also pick up dates of shows so when you started out where did you start getting your information from?  ???

Regards John

Simple , The internet for clubs , also found the AWGB on the web
ebay for used tools and a lathe as I could not afford all new gear ( As in the adverts in WT mag )
Eventually noticed in WH Smithe the WT mag so thought I would give it a go

Noticed at the time a serious lack of H & S  as no turners were wearing dust masks or face sheilds , Entered into a email conversation with Mark Baker and at the time the answer was " You cant see the turners face if they wear H&S gear " Thankfully this is now addressed and the responsible thing is now done H&S applied

Tell me again what part was " Selfish " ? :-\

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
See if you can find any magazine worth its salt that doesn't have a mass of advertising. How else can they keep going. As said the amount of work that goes into publishing and producing such a magazine is not exactly a days work for someone and cost a lot of money. Personally I think before people criticise the magazine they should look behind the scenes and see just what goes on, how much things cost and maybe look at other magazines for comparison. Try looking at some of the high end design magazines for example and I think you will find that they contain far more adverts proportionally. So often people criticise without actually realising what goes on behind the scenes simnply because it doesn't suit them.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »
See if you can find any magazine worth its salt that doesn't have a mass of advertising. How else can they keep going. As said the amount of work that goes into publishing and producing such a magazine is not exactly a days work for someone and cost a lot of money. Personally I think before people criticise the magazine they should look behind the scenes and see just what goes on, how much things cost and maybe look at other magazines for comparison. Try looking at some of the high end design magazines for example and I think you will find that they contain far more adverts proportionally. So often people criticise without actually realising what goes on behind the scenes simnply because it doesn't suit them.

Pete

Like your self and Les, I have written articles for "The Woodworker" magazine(Wooden model builds) as well as doing the one for the Woodturner magazine in this issue. This is not a 5 minute job even after the article is written as there are the numurous emails back and forth from the publishers of magazines which cost in time in getting them correct. The editor still needs paying as well as the article writer, so the adverts go some way to pay for all of this.