Author Topic: Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »
As above

Offline Ianparkin

• iron
Re: Question , What has 106 pages and 76 adverts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
Woodturning magazine? Jan 2020. Issue

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
We have a winner , Its getting to the point where I may cancel my subscription

as it more like a catalog now  :(

I may email Mark Baker but I would think its out of his control as GMC publications want as much revenue as possible

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
I think the counter argument is it is a 30 page magazine sponsored by adverts.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
And a vast majority of the adverts are for items not necessarily available in the UK.

Richard

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
And a vast majority of the adverts are for items not necessarily available in the UK.

Richard

That is because it is a worldwide read magazine and America is the biggest subscriber to it after the UK.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »

Woodturners have been saying this for quite some time it  seems a catch 22 situation if you had no Adverts there would be no Magazine
With not been able to get tools etc advertised I wonder if the Turners in other parts of the World say the same this magazine is published  in quite a number of other Countries. It also gives some of our professional turners a little bit of help financially for the articles they write and these articles are very informative.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 09:08:26 PM »

Woodturners have been saying this for quite some time it  seems a catch 22 situation if you had no Adverts there would be no Magazine
With not been able to get tools etc advertised I wonder if the Turners in other parts of the World say the same this magazine is published  in quite a number of other Countries. It also gives some of our professional turners a little bit of help financially for the articles they write and these articles are very informative.

Regards John
Thanks for writing that John, some very succinct insights.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 12:26:33 AM »
Another one worth bearing in mind is that without adverts, the magazine would cost more to buy. Personally I don't mind the adverts, I don't have to read them if I don't want to!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
Another one worth bearing in mind is that without adverts, the magazine would cost more to buy. Personally I don't mind the adverts, I don't have to read them if I don't want to!

...a crucial point, Paul. As one who writes regularly for "Woodturning" I am well aware of the extensive amount of work that goes into the planning and production of a magazine such as this. Articles are planned sometimes 5 or 6 months in advance so as not to clash with other writers' articles of a similar subject. The editorial team juggle a mind-boggling collection of articles, so as to present a well balanced issue each month. Once submitted, articles have to be digitally transferred from the writer's laptop-ramblings into the relevant format, as do the drawings and sketches provided by writers, which have to be painstakingly re-drawn digitally. This all then gets bounced back and forth between the editorial team and each writer until the content is mutually agreed ; it's a painstaking process which pays enormous results - you only have to look at the circulation figures to realise that!
Don't view the frequent advertisements as an annoying intrusion into your reading, but, as Paul says, view them as that content which makes such magazines viable.
I do hope that you don't cancel your subscription, but just be a little more accepting of what it takes to bring a first class publication to you.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
Personally, I find the content to be quite enough reading for the month. More than that and I'd probably end up not reading it all. It is nice to see articles by the professional turners that we meet at club demos, woodturning shows etc as it adds to the "community" in my view.
I also glance at the ads, and find them handy in seeing what's going on in the spinny world - even the American ones which often foretell of something about to arrive here.
Everyone is different, but I find it both interesting and useful - not to suggest that others are wrong in holding a different view of course.
Duncan

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 02:13:17 PM »
How many times do I need to see a Sorby belt sharpner or a record lathe ?
I have a Sorby sharpener alread got one when they first come out years ago
And I am fortunate to have a far superior lathe

Its the same adds time and time and time and time and time again

A classified section would be good also what members make , unless no-one sends in any content ( I have had a item in the mag some years ago now ), Also in the UK I see no point in listing USA / other country events as I don't think many of us would fly all over the world . Maybe a subscribers competition , something that will  change ( In my opinion monotony )

rant over  ;D

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »

Richard

That is because it is a worldwide read magazine and America is the biggest subscriber to it after the UK.

Yes, that's right. Mark can't really ignore his second largest market, can he?

You would also be surprised how many Brits get to the shows in the USA and elsewhere. We can't go if we dont know about them, can we?

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 01:36:34 AM »
A classified section would be good also what members make , unless no-one sends in any content ( I have had a item in the mag some years ago now ), Also in the UK I see no point in listing USA / other country events as I don't think many of us would fly all over the world . Maybe a subscribers competition , something that will  change ( In my opinion monotony )

rant over  ;D

Doesn't the Woodturning mag regularly publish photos of items turned by members of the woodworkers institute forum? That's open to anyone who wants to participate.

I think the "Woodturning" magazine does carries classified ads but I suspect there aren't many because most people don't want to wait 3 months from insertion to publication to sell their stuff and these days there are faster and easier ways to sell.

Last year there was the "British Woodturner of the Year" competition, which was open to anyone (not just subscribers) but was organised by GMC publications. Alongside that, they also staged the two week exhibition and demonstrations on a variety of woodcrafts at the Oxo gallery in London.

Those who have been in the field long enough will remember there used to be "The woodturner" magazine as well as the "Woodturning" magazine. The publishers of "The Woodturner" decided it wasn't viable any more and merged it with "The Woodworker". GMC have managed to keep the "Woodturning" magazine going so I think you have to give them credit for that.

I don't know of any commercial magazines that don't carry adverts. They are both a service to readers who are interested in related products and a way of part funding the publication but if you aren't interested in the adverts, don't read them! Nobody is forcing you!

Even the AWGB "Revolutions" newsletter carries adverts, which I think is beneficial both for our readers and the association.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 01:57:30 AM »

Doesn't the Woodturning mag regularly publish photos of items turned by members of the woodworkers institute forum? That's open to anyone who wants to participate.

It does I post on their forum and have quite a few of my pieces in the "From the Forum" in the magazine