Author Topic: How to repair 2 prong drive  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Newbster

• iron
How to repair 2 prong drive
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
This 2 prong drive was removed from a very dusty old lathe recently and thanks to some gems on this forum it'd probably be in the bin by now.

But as you can see from the pics the wings left and right are badly damaged which are as a result of serious wear and tear.  The lathe itself came from a school in Sweden but the drive is over 30 years old and still has a lot of life left in it. Any suggestions to how this might be repaired would be very welcome.

cheers,

Edward

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: How to repair 2 prong drive
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
Given that there may well be some metal fatigue present, with the drive dogs getting a bit soft, I don't think I'd bother to try to re-shape it.....and anyway, you can get a new one for a little over a tenner!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »
Newbster, can you confirm the appearance in the photo's that this lathe doesn't have a Morse Taper? if it does then Les is right just buy a new one.

If as I suspect there is no MT, then gently file this one into some sort of shape and use it.

Or get one that fits into your chuck now you have one! e.g. https://www.yandles.co.uk/planet-mc02a-multi-chuck-drive-centre-2-prong-1-254mm/p4774  (not recommending this one particularly just put it there for the picture!)

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:04:20 AM »
When you look at this one the area before the dogs looks to have already been ground out. If it was me I would just bin it and buy a new one but it is possible to redress this one.You could file it as suggested but personally I would put it on a grinder, grind away some of the flat on each side and regrind the dogs to shape, by the time you have done all that you may well wish that you had just bit the bullet and purchased a new one.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »
If you really want to refurb I would build the wings up with a migwelder then regrind to shape. Similar method used on lawn mower blades to good effect when the blade gets badly dinged.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »
Newbster, can you confirm the appearance in the photo's that this lathe doesn't have a Morse Taper? if it does then Les is right just buy a new one.

If as I suspect there is no MT, then gently file this one into some sort of shape and use it.

Or get one that fits into your chuck now you have one! e.g. https://www.yandles.co.uk/planet-mc02a-multi-chuck-drive-centre-2-prong-1-254mm/p4774  (not recommending this one particularly just put it there for the picture!)

No mate there's no MT just a solid non-hollow thread which was a bit disappointing. My chuck still hasn't arrived in the post so I thought i'd get this refurbished for the mo. And appreciate the link.

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »
Given that there may well be some metal fatigue present, with the drive dogs getting a bit soft, I don't think I'd bother to try to re-shape it.....and anyway, you can get a new one for a little over a tenner!
Les

Thanks Les, she's an oldie goldie which is why I wanted to hold onto it. I was thinking that if the machine shop skimmed it back and repointed it with new dogs there's about a 1/4" inch to play with.

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
If you really want to refurb I would build the wings up with a migwelder then regrind to shape. Similar method used on lawn mower blades to good effect when the blade gets badly dinged.

That's a cracker of a suggestion. Thank you for that.