Author Topic: A Sycamore hollow form & Jo Sonja paints  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Steved

• copper
A Sycamore hollow form & Jo Sonja paints
« on: November 15, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »
This is my first attempt with the Jo Sonja iridescent paints on a hollow form. I used 3 of the colours and think I am reasonably pleased with the end result. All C&C welcome.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: A Sycamore hollow form & Jo Sonja paints
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »

Hi Steve,

good result, looks like you used the Cling film approach now just experiment and try other techniques, dab with a sponge, finger tip, wipe over with a feather and anything else you can think of.  All give different effects.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
Very eye-catching :)
May I ask, (these may be silly questions) how did you prepare the surface for the paint, did you have to 'prime' it in any way? And did you apply any clear finish over the paint?
The combination of colours you used compliment each other well :)

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
 I was prompted to give this a try as a result of watching a demo by Mick Hanbury on YouTube. So I used the same procedure he did and it’s a result I am pleased with. This is the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85TBZWzsFs     Will certainly be trying out some other ideas on similar lines, the feather could be an interesting one to try!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »
I like the Jo Sonja iridescent paints. you did a good job on this piece. This is using a piece of sponge

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Thanks Derek it looks good, will certainly be trying out a few other ideas and that vase is also an interesting shape that I might like to try sometime, that is if you don’t mind. 
Martin your suggestion of using a fingertip to create a pattern has just reminded me that I had in fact done that some time ago with a blue acrylic and had since forgotten it. So this just dug out of the archive. The wood is Ginkgo.