Author Topic: Bread and butter commissions  (Read 2566 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Bread and butter commissions
« on: November 12, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
One of my staples has always been crafting tools but sudden,y had a flood of orders for different types of spindles. I have over 50 different types I do from around the world, here are a few I have made this past couple of weeks.
Navajo spindle, traditionally used sat cross legged on the floor, 30" long with a 5 whorl, phang, used in the upper Himalayan region usually with a support bowl, often by the men Takhili, tibetan spindle with a support bowl. Very lightwieght used for spinning fine yarn such as silk.

Dozens of other spindles and other odd tools for mainly fabric and yarn crafts. Often have to research them when asked for one.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Bread and butter commissions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
Wow....had no idea that there was such an international variation, but I guess that's often the case with items of folk-art.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
I've only the very faintest idea of what they're for or how they work, but it's nice to see such things still in demand - and that you have built up a reputation for making them so well.
Do you use any suitable woods, or attempt to use woods similar to the traditional ones in a given regional style?
Duncan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
Basically they are used to make yarn from differe nt materials, fleeces, silk even grasses. Original drop spindles were little more than a stone with a hole in it stuck on a stick. They have evolved over the millenia into heaven knows how many types around the world and for different types of spinning. The woods are pretty much anything goes though for some like the takhili I use light weight woods such as poplar as it gets used for spinning silk, apparently down to a single thread. Most crafters working in fabric, yarn etc prefer hand made tools if possible and some of the things they ask for are really wierd believe me LOL.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:14:40 PM »
Getting a customer in this sort of niche is invaluable, they spread your name around their own groups so work keeps coming, and then Google is wonderful for finding out what a thingamijig for wotsits looks like and hopefully some clues on size and weight too!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »
I've been making crafting tools for about 10 years so get a few every so often. Not sure why there is such a sudden rush this last month or so though. Not that I am complaining. Someone ordered one of these this morning, just done it ready to post. Any guesses? The steps are in 10mm sections and are each 2mm different to the previous one ranging from 6mm to 20mm. #]#Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
I have made similar for sizing rings, but the 6mm start is a bit small for that.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
I think it is something to do with lace?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
I think it is something to do with lace?

Yes, habedo lacework. It is for making rings that are then sewn into the main piece.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:38 PM »
till i started to turn skittles and balls for a living i did not have a bread and butter as like most of us i suspect i was asked to turn all manner of things. commissions for decorative bowls were quite common.