Author Topic: Lighting  (Read 12433 times)

Offline Maca

• iron
Lighting
« on: October 29, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
I have a small shed with a 5ft strip light which is fine for working at the workbench but casts shadows when I'm working on the lathe.  I also have a small led spot light on a flexible arm https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DD93CKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I can shine directly on the workpiece but as the days are growing shorter I'm finding myself working more and more in the dark hours so I want to get a light to hang above the lathe.  My question is do you have any particular preference for lighting the lathe?  Or for that matter positioning the lighting?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Lighting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 12:07:15 PM »
I use a good quality anglepoise type lamp with a magnetic base, gives a great pool of clean light and is infimitely adjustable, if you hang lighting it will offer shadows somewhere or another.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
For this very reason I'm putting retractable castors on the bench where my new lathe will be mounted. When not in use, my lathe will be against a wall and when in use will be wheeled a few feet into the room so that the light (from two 5foot fittings) is on the work and the shadows are behind me. Being retractable means the bench can be lowered to sit directly on the floor, rather than on the wheels of the castors.
I also use an anglepoise lamp at the work itself, it's a larger than usual model that was originally attached to a large drawing board so has a good 'reach'.
Just for interest, these are the castors I'm using:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWERTEC-17000-Workbench-Caster-Pack/dp/B00SX3T2LO

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
I have upgraded my strip lights to LED panels specifically Daylight white which if it makes sense is bluer than florescent light. I have one over the lathe and one in the general area of the workshop. Link below.

I do think they are better, however I also use a magnetic spotlight on the lathe as the only way to avoid shadows is to get the light in front of you.

https://www.lepro.co.uk/36w-led-panel-light-3900015-dw-eu.html
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 03:24:11 PM »
I started out with one of those magnetic lights, but found it did not have the flexibility I wanted. A dentist's light would have been ideal, but firstly they are horribly expensive and secondly they need a very sturdy mounting point in the ceiling. So eventually I built my own solution. The arm is mounted on a sleeve that moves sideways with about 4ft of lateral movement. It swings out to any angle in a near 180 degrees range. The scissor lift can be held in various place or completely relaxed to hold the lights pretty much at lathe rotational axis level (good for hollowing!) and the part holding the actual lights is fully articulated. The lights themselves also swivel and tilt in their arms, and are fitted with two LED bulbs (initially these were halogen bulbs, but they almost burned my ear off on one occasion).
Yes, this is quite a bit of work to make, but it does not require any special parts, all standard nuts and bolts and a few pieces of wood. Total cost approx. £50, plus a few hours of work, but it has solved my lighting issues for good. The workshop itself is lit with three square LED panels, daylight colour, which provide a very bright non-directional light.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 05:01:30 PM »
When my nearly new LED light over the lathe went phut, I looked for something brighter, I bought an out door LED floodlight from Screwfix for under £15 and mounted it above the lathe. According to the blurb it is the equivalent to 200 watts and and is more than sufficient. It barely get warm to the touch. Get one without the motion sensor and wire it to a 13a plug
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »
Big improvement in lighting and many less burned ears since LED's became available  :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:06 PM »
I too use a swing lamp with a led lamp in it. However I have just been installing some led strips, and had some of cuts. Stuck some magnets to them and I can stick the led to a tool rest, or even a to a tool whilst it is in a vessel

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
Not sure I would want wires hanging around like that when turning. i know they're fairly thin but seems a bit dodgy to me especially inside a hollow piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »
This is extremely bright - inexpensive - I mounted mine on a simple shop-made base/bracket made from cheap construction lumber (eg. 4x2")  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timstore-Outdoor-Floodlight-Waterproof-Daylight/dp/B07PSHXDGG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=50w+led+craft+flood&qid=1572479572&sr=8-1
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
I too use a swing lamp with a led lamp in it. However I have just been installing some led strips, and had some of cuts. Stuck some magnets to them and I can stick the led to a tool rest, or even a to a tool whilst it is in a vessel

I have one like that from Woodart Products but I am not sure I would put it on the tool inside a form but am quite happy to attach it to the tool rest making sure the cable is right out of the way and secured back with tape.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
HillClimb,
How long is the cable on the light?

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
I have a small enough shed/workshop 12ft x 12ft. Over my workbench I have a 5ft LED. Over my other bench I have a 4ft LED. At the other wall where I have my bench grinder and piller drill I have a 2ft x 2ft LED panel and at the other wall where my lathe is I have another 2ft x 2ft LED panel. All the lights are 6000K daylight. With them all switched on I'm sure the crew on the ISS are able to see my shed! My roof is pretty low though, lean too going from 8ft to 7ft inside, if the lights were higher up there would be more spread of light.
Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Like Twisted Trees I’ve recently upgraded to LED panels which have been a big improvement over the original florescent tubes they were 4000k which I find a gives a good colour
Over the lathe I have 2 10w 4000k spotlights I bought from screwfix for about £10 each plus an angle poise
Works for me
John

Offline Maca

• iron
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, in the end I decided to go for a couple of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPNZC8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really good and have made a huge difference.