Author Topic: Walnut Oil  (Read 5171 times)

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
Walnut Oil
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:50 PM »
I've been wanting to try walnut oil as a food safe finish. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to Mahoney's walnut oil available in the UK?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Walnut Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
I'm not familiar with Mahoney's, so don't know how to compare brands, but there's a wealth of businesses selling walnut oil in the UK, including your local Waitrose!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »
The problem with using any nut oil is if somebody has a nu allergy it could kill them'
If you want to use supermarket oil i would suggest you use Rapeseed oil

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »
I had never thought of Rapeseed oil to finish, whats it come up like, and is it fairly quick drying?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »
I have never used it and unlikely to I use Chestnut Food safe oil then I am sure there is no risk

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
I use rapeseed or sunflower oil for things like salad bowls, mortar and pestles etc. One they are safe, two they are easily refurbished by the eventual owner and three they are cheap. Olive oil goes rancid in time so avod that. Walnut aoil, as George points out can be a problem for anyone with a nut allergy. As far as looks are concerned if it is a utilitarian piece then getting a lovely gloss or shine etc is not really a consideration as it will quickly lose it when used.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »
Mahoney's oil is heat treated to remove allergens so ok for those with allergies. I was looking for a UK source.

"My walnut oil is 100% high linoleic acid walnut oil developed for woodworkers who want a non-toxic alternative to petroleum based polymerizing oils. What makes the oil unique is its ability to dry. I source my oil from trees in Northern California which are naturally high in two key fatty acids that help the oil polymerize. This is absent in culinary walnut oils. I also heat-treat the oil to remove the proteins that may cause allergic reactions to those predisposed to them."

Offline Spencer

• iron
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
I use Mineral Oil which I purchased from Amazon, people had said I could find it from most chemists but I had no luck with that. I have heard that it is possible to make Walnut Stain by mixing the husks of Walnuts with some water and leaving it for two days. 

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Spencer I could be wrong but I think mineral oil is another name for liquid paraffin, but I am happy to be corrected on that. And I use it sometimes and get it from Boots the chemist.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Liquid Paraffin,go to an Equine vets its a quarter of the price than Boots or any Chemist  and you can get it in 1 and 5 Litre containers 
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
Mineral oil and liquid paraffin are the same thing by a different name.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Yes, mineral oil and liquid paraffin are one and the same. It is also a laxative. ;)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.